home MacOS/MacOSX/Win98 network

jcorbeil

Registered
I want to set up my aged PMac 8500 (MacOS 9) as a gateway to the internet and enable simultaneous surfing and e-mailing from my iMac (MacOSX.1) and my roommate's windows 98 box. We have a hardware router, a cable modem, and a *swack* of ethernet cables. what we don't have is *any* knowledge. can anyone help?

Thanks,
Jes

jcorbeil@canada.com

If you have a hardware router, you won't need to set up a computer as a gateway, just use the router. You'd do this by setting your gateway (or router in os x) settings in TCP/IP of the client machines to the IP address of the router. Your router would then be configured to use whatever method your cable modem provider requires - ie. DHCP. For cables, all computers can run into the router and the router would go into the cable modem. If you want to hear a software solution, just let me know.

You probably need a hub unless you have a multi-port router.

If you really have a router (not a hub, some people get these confused), then it's really easy: just plug your cable modem into the uplink port, and plug in your other machines into the router's other ports. If the router only has two ethernet ports (one for the cable modem, and one more), then you definitely need a hub to connect your other computers.

Next you'll need to set up IP addresses for your computers. You'll need to know whether your router can act as a DHCP server or not. If it can, then set your machines to receive their IP addresses via DHCP (OS 9: Control Panel > TCP/IP > Configure using DHCP Server. Win98: Control Panel > Network > "TCP/IP -> <your ethernet adapter>" > Obtain IP address automatically, and I forget how to do it in OS X, it's very similar to OS 9, except it's in the system preferences somewhere).

I would try that & see if it works. If it doesn't work as advertised, see if you can find out what brand/model your router is, and what the network settings on your computers are, then I'll give you a better answer :cool:

Back