Home made improvements to subwoofer...

Trip

Registered
Is there anyway to make my subwoofer...better? It's not bad or anything, but I really love to here bass kick in when I'm listening to my techno music. Using home tools/supplies is there anyway to amplify its effects?

I'm not sure what kind you have, but if it points at the floor like mine, try simply flipping it onto its side so that the speaker points directly at you.

You'll be limited to the quality and strength of the speaker. But you could try compression or filtering (but you'd need some kit to do this (unless you run all your tracks through software compression/equalisation first (iTunes has an equaliser, you could superficially bump up the bass)).

If your subwoofer is pointing to the floor, this is generally a good way to dissipate bass frequencies around the room (and below, to the annoyance of others).

The "kicking" bass is around 100-150hz. Below 100hz you will just have the deep background bass which I think you are not really looking for. I don't know if your system has a frequency filter to just let this range of frequency get to your subwoofer. There are additinal "tools" (hardware) you might consider.
Furthermore I found out, that there are some resonance corners, which will amplify the bass. You should try out.

Right now I have it sitting on the floor, facing down, in the corner of my desk. It's pretty good, but I notice it's a lot more effective if my head is down under the desk with it. :rolleyes:

What type of sub is this? Brand, model #, enclosure type (ported, sealed, etc.), size, etc...etc... That would help just to know what you're dealing with.

Trip said:
Right now I have it sitting on the floor, facing down, in the corner of my desk. It's pretty good, but I notice it's a lot more effective if my head is down under the desk with it. :rolleyes:

why don't you work UNDER your desk then? :D
I think there is not much you can do. You can't get such resonance conditions in your room like under your desk. If it really matters for you, you should go for better speakers...

Back