Home Market Share....

jonparadise

Registered
Now I know this is a subject that has been tackled many times, but I can't help but think all the stats out there about Apples market penetration are a bit skewed.

In the last year, I bought myself a Powerbook. My sister loved it, so she bought an iBook, my Dad loved it, so he bought an iBook, my flatmate loved it, so he just bought an iBook!

So now, out of 3 households, there is 1 PC and 4 Macs! Higher than the average market share I reckon. I'd say now, the main overriding factor for most of my friends getting a Mac is cost. Simple as that. Most average people aren't bothered about the nitty gritty of a computer, they just want to send and receive email, cheaply. So a choice between a Mac and a £399 Dell is simple for them, even if they acknowledge the Mac is better.

Is this situation similar for anyone else?

next time do a search before postin, there was a new thread about this no less than a month ago.

mods do ur job...

soulseek said:
next time do a search before postin, there was a new thread about this no less than a month ago.

mods do ur job...

I'm not quite sure how to reply to that. I know it has been mentioned before, but was simply showing my personal experience.

I'll know better next time I guess.

Yeah, some people are uptight about related threads...

I also have a totally non-representative image of apple's market share - I'm in computer science, my wife's in theatre. Funny, the computer scientists seem to take the mac more seriously than the theatre people.

But I don't think we'd have gotten married if one of us wasn't a mac user - we're pretty fanatico about it, there would have been too many fights about far too stupid things...

Our sys eng dept here (work for an ISP/Data Center) is slowly merging over to OS X. I was the first to get them flying in the right direction when I was employed 5 years ago. I was the only mac user in our division. Once OS X came along and I showed uff its beauty, they were sold. I think within the last year and a half we have had 8 engineers buy iBooks or pBooks.

The mac probably has close to a 10-12% home market penetration in America. Since there are only 55 million households in America that would only mean that 5 to 6 million working macs are being used once a month in these households. I wouldn't doubt the penetration could be as high as 15-20% when you factor into account that if the household contains both pc and mac they count that as a null figure in some polls. So, really these pollls are saying which do you primarily use or is your household mac or pc only!

^If that is the case, then that 10-15% claim mac has is really impressive. I'm sure many mac enthusiasts own a cheap piece of crap PC that strikes them from counting.

Hell, I have an aincient P75 in the basement that hasn't been booted up in 5yrs. Does that exclude me?

Back