Home Networking Advice Needed

Dris

The Benevolent
Okay, this is what I've got...I've got my iMac running Jaguar, with its Ethernet port and all. I've got a cable modem that has connections for both an Ethernet hookup and USB. Then I've got a Gateway PC running Windows (98 I think), but it only has USB ports.

What I want to do is network the iMac and the PC so that they can both connect to the Internet via the cable modem, hopefully without purchasing an extra IP or whatever from my ISP.

Does anyone know what I'd need to buy to get this working, and how much it would cost? Thanks a ton!

First of all, you need an ethernet card in your PC. (a.k.a. Network Interface Card, NIC) They're pretty cheap I guess. Just plug it in and install any necessary drivers.

Then, I'm not sure if you need a hub, switch or router. If your cable modem can function as a DHCP server, I believe all you need is a hub (the cable modem would be functioning as a router.) Then configure your iMac and PC as DHCP and you should be up and running.

I have a Linksys 4 port router plugged into my cable modem at home that does exactly what you are asking about.

dris,

you need a nic card for the pc +- US$15
(that's the price in Egypt)

you can then use a freeware proxy server like analogX and connect the modem to the usb of the pc.

you can connect the two machines with a crossover cable or through a hub. (depends on how close are they and whether you can make the cables yourself)

setup the the mini network according to the read me with analogX.

another (easier) option is to buy a minigateway from linksys or dlink. cost is around US$ 60 and you can get them at staples, circuit city or any such place. then the modem connects to the gateway as do the two computers (you need the nic card either way) set both computers to get their ip address automatically and away you go.

good luck
seems this is taking you a while, hope it works out

Get an ethernet adapter for the Gateway (any cheap $10-$20 card will do) and then get an "internet" router, something like a Linksys (~$50). The Linksys will come with a 4 port switch built in that you can plug your two computers into, the router than connects via ethernet to your cable modem. The router gets the single isp assigned ip and your internal boxes get purely internal ips.

One word of caution, your isp may or may not be friendly toward the router. Some don't mind and might even help if you have problems. Some will allow you to do it, but won't supply any support for that configuration. Some actually have their TOS setup to make doing such a thing verbotten. In all cases, the isp can't really tell that you're doing it unless you tell them.

So in summary:

1 $20 ethernet card
1 $50 internet router
2 $5 cat5 cables

All prices are estimates and you will find prices both above and below.

By the way, if you dont want to get the router, a $20 hub can work, but either the Mac or the Windows machine will have to run thier ip sharing feature.

I personally recommend getting the $50 router, as I've had one at home for over a year nonstop without a hitch. For the most part, they are plug-and-play.

The only info you might need is the Primary and Secondary name server addresses.

Okay, I got it up and running myself the day I posted this. It was actually quite simple, with very few complications: the Gateway had no Ethernet card, and it's an all-in-one, so I can't get one. Luckily, there are USB/Ethernet adapters, so that's how it's running right now. I went and got a router for about $50, hooked up the Mac, modem, and Gateway, and there they were, online. Of course, it took some time for me to figure out that resetting the router was a good idea, as neither computer would get online before I did. The other complication was running the web server on my iMac. I looked in the router's manual and figured out how to set a virtual gateway, and it works fine. Oh yeah, there was one more thing which was very odd. I hooked everything up while the Mac was on, knowing how it's capable of accepting just about any device without reboot. However, I logged out. Then after hooking things up, I tried to log in (even though I'd have to restart to reset the connection, but oh well). That's when I was scared half to death. The computer wouldn't accept my password, no matter how many times I tried. :eek: Fortunately, a restart solved the problem, though I still don't know the cause. Anyways, hope this all helps somebody else needing the same sort of deal! Thanks everyone for the information.

I work at an ISP and we have an Efficients DSL modem that we use and it has USB and Ethernet connection capabilities, and as soon as Efficients releases the firmware update it will function like a router in that you can hook one computer up with the Ethernet and one with the USB, which makes it a much cheaper way for people to network two computer like that. I don't know what kind of modem you have, and but you might want to try calling your modem manufacturer and see if they have, or plan to have, anything like this for your modem.

-Juxel

Back