HomePage and iTools and iDisk, oh my!

nkuvu

Gone
So how exactly do the folders on the iDisk work? Can I just put folders/html/whatever in the Sites directory and have it shared? Do I need to set permissions on what I put up there?

What I want to be able to do is write my own HTML and post the pages. I don't really like making web pages through a wizard interface.

Should I just go try it and see? :) Yeah, probably, but the iDisk speed is so bad that it's painful. (btw, I tried to go to the iDisk via AFP (From another thread (In the Finder, choose Go->Connect to Server, then enter 'afp://idisk.mac.com')) but it wouldn't let me in.)

Terminal access is better, but still not very good. And the other problem I have is that I haven't found a good HTML editor yet -- I've been busy dealing with a browser. :) No I do not want to discuss browsers here. And I don't really like Pepper. Still have to download BBEdit and try that...

But I digress. Talk to me about the setup of the HomePage stuff and I'll be happy.

yes you can write html and post the pages to your idisk/itools and it will work fine. it will not be linked to the pages that are created in itools but you can of course link to them if you want. the address will be homepage.mac.com/yourusername/newpagename

if you call it index.html, it will overwrite itools default for your start page i believe. there are instructions for this in itools.

Thanks -- I got a nice test page posted.

I am not sure why I couldn't access my iDisk via AFP before -- tonight it let me in with no problems.

I should have known that posting web pages would be simple. I keep expecting to have to jump through a bazillion hoops to do the simplest tasks. I'm just used to Windows, I suppose.

:)

learning to simplify your approach to computing is the most difficult part for most converts. It should be fun to do though.:D

idisk and itools can be a bit unpredictable. keep in mind that it has an incredible amount of traffic at times. I have founf that the whole bit works faster and smoother later at night than at anytime during the day. As each US time zone goes to bed, it gets better.;)

If you're looking for a bare-bones HTML editor, I really have to say OmniWeb here, too (this is totally separate from the browser). While it doesn't offer any help as to debugging your code or offering the tags for different things, it does have 2 really nice features: compact and reformat. Reformat basically rewrites all of your code with tags on each line and the content in between, with indentation for each line that's in a set of tags, so that your code is really easy to read and debug. Once you're done coding, you can just press the compact button and it will compact your HTML code down into one big long line, erasing all the white space.

This is an awesome, indispensable feature. :)

Back