Horrible cracking sound with screen captures

tweaker301670

Registered
Sometimes (about one-fifth of the time) when I do a screen capture (using Command-Shift-4) there is a horrible loud cracking in place of the camera clicking sound. I have a pair of Yamaha speakers which are about nine years old but they work fine otherwise, no static, play iTunes great, etc.

Is there a setting I can change that would obviate this from happening? It's getting on my nerves because I'm starting to expect it each time, even though it's the exception rather than the rule. Or does it mean my speakers need to be replaced? I don't do anything musically-intensive on my iMac so I can change settings, but I would like to keep a decent basic level of stereo output. Thanks

P.S. I'm using a first-generation 1.8GHz 20" iMac with 10.4.11, but will probably upgrade to Leopard sometime this summer.

Sometimes when I do a screen capture (using Command-Shift-4) there is a horrible loud cracking in place of the camera clicking sound. I have a pair of Yamaha speakers

I experienced the exact same annoyance with my Mac -> Aiwa amp -> Technics speakers. It was a dodgy 3.5 mm connector to the Mac's audio out socket, plus a loose screw clamp in a cable to the spkrs. A bit of cleaning, tweaking and tightening fixed it.

Just a thought - when you do the picture grab, turn the volume down first (or use the mute button). Not a cure, but a way to avoid the cracking noise.

You can control the volume for System Sounds, like the camera click when you take a screenshot. This might help as if you have it set to full volume, then in the event that your speakers decide to emit that horrible sounding "crack", then at least it won't be as loud.

Navigate to:

System Preferences ~> Sound ~> Sound Effects Tab

There you'll see that you have full control over that horrible sound:

I experienced the exact same annoyance with my Mac -> Aiwa amp -> Technics speakers. It was a dodgy 3.5 mm connector to the Mac's audio out socket, plus a loose screw clamp in a cable to the spkrs. A bit of cleaning, tweaking and tightening fixed it.

Just a thought - when you do the picture grab, turn the volume down first (or use the mute button). Not a cure, but a way to avoid the cracking noise.

I used to do that (hit mute before screen captures) but I got sick of it and was hoping there was some way getting around it.

How do you tell if any of the connectors need to be tightened? They all seem to sit *relatively* tightly in their little holes ("receptacles"?).

(Would just cleaning them make a difference? I do have a container of pure alcohol without that lubricant they use to make it rubbing alcohol.)

You can control the volume for System Sounds, like the camera click when you take a screenshot. This might help as if you have it set to full volume, then in the event that your speakers decide to emit that horrible sounding "crack", then at least it won't be as loud.

Navigate to:

System Preferences ~> Sound ~> Sound Effects Tab

There you'll see that you have full control over that horrible sound:

Thanks but I actually like hearing the camera click sound when it works properly. Hopefully I'll find a way to have my cake and eat it too. :)

How do you tell if any of the connectors need to be tightened? They all seem to sit *relatively* tightly in their little holes (“receptacles”?).

(Would just cleaning them make a difference? I do have a container of pure alcohol without that lubricant they use to make it rubbing alcohol.)

Just twist them around a little while they’re plugged in. You can also spray a little WD40 on a tissue and wipe the plugs down with the tissue.

Thanks but I actually like hearing the camera click sound when it works properly. Hopefully I'll find a way to have my cake and eat it too. :)

I forgot to add to my earlier post the reason behind my advice .... I recently had an issue with System Sounds where the place in trash and empty trash sounds were replaced with a horrible double-thunk sound. I eventually realised that in Sys Prefs ~> Sound ~> Sound Effects Tab, the Alert Volume was turned all the way down ... when I turned the volume up, the problem was fixed!

The only clues I have as to how the Alert Volume was turned off (I always have it up as I too like the different sounds), was that I'd been trying to recall a keyboard combo shortcut and maybe stumbled across one that muted the Alert Volume, OR, I'd recently installed a 3rd party app that did it ... guess I'll never know

How do you tell if any of the connectors need to be tightened? They all seem to sit *relatively* tightly in their little holes ("receptacles"?).

The screws may appear tight, but it's between them and the wire that may be the cause if there's a build-up of oxide. Undo the screws and withdraw the wire for cleaning before reattaching. I'd also fold the wire end over to give more substance for the screw to grip.

Would just cleaning them make a difference? I do have a container of pure alcohol without that lubricant they use to make it rubbing alcohol.)

Just twist them around a little while they’re plugged in. You can also spray a little WD40 on a tissue and wipe the plugs down with the tissue.

Pleeeeease, don't use any aerosol sprays (eg. WD40) that leave a residue when cleaning electrical contacts. CRC's CO Contact Cleaner is good for the job. Isopropyl alcohol is good too, or methylated spirits. Use some very fine grade emery paper for cleaning the audio pin and bare wires, but wipe clean with tissue paper before reinserting/reattaching.

Another cause may be a faulty volume pot on the amplifier. Most people just tweak the volume dial by a few clicks, so what you need to do is to wind the volume knob (slider?) vigorously from min to max several times. Just don't have any music playing at the time or you'll risk damage to the speakers - not to mention your hearing!

Check too that the input source selector on the amplifier is properly depressed, or that the selector knob isn't slightly off full contact. Arcing may be the cause of that 'crack' noise.

Back