Horrid Safari Scroll Bug

jeb1138

Carioca
Has anybody else with a scroll mouse experienced this?

Go to a page that is long enough to scroll (like this one probably), go to the middle of the page and scroll up while physically moving the mouse forward. It will scroll down very fast! You have to scroll relatively quickly and move your mouse at a decent pace as well, but not all that fast. Make sure you stay within the window and don't hit the title bar or status bar or any text input boxes. Try it several times rapidly in succession. This happens to me frequently while I'm scrolling and just happen to slide my mouse forward a bit at the same time and it is rather annoying.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't just a problem with my computer, because it doesn't happen in OmniWeb, Explorer or any other application. I've also tried it with two different scroll mice -- a Logitech MX700 and an MS Intellimouse Optical.

Can anybody else out there confirm that this happens for them as well?

Nope don't see it. But i have spent the past 5 minutes looking like an idiot scrolling up and down and up and down. ;)

Twister

Originally posted by twister
Nope don't see it. But i have spent the past 5 minutes looking like an idiot scrolling up and down and up and down. ;)

Twister

LOL!!!! :) OK thanks for trying it out for me though Twister. That's really weird -- I can't believe it's just my computer... I'll have to try trashing all my Safari preferences again I guess. I wonder if some system tweak I've done could be affecting it... but it's weird that it would only affect Safari though.

Thanks for trying!

Does it with mine, too. Wacom Graphire with the little plastic mouse on it. :confused: It might help to know that the Wacom tablets have drivers that Wacom wrote, though. The tablet doesn't work on its own. (i.e. base OS X configuration)

Hmm...

OK thanks twister.

Originally posted by Ricky
Does it with mine, too. Wacom Graphire with the little plastic mouse on it. :confused: It might help to know that the Wacom tablets have drivers that Wacom wrote, though. The tablet doesn't work on its own. (i.e. base OS X configuration)

So it does happen to other people! Hooray! Er.. I mean.. that's too bad. ;)

Ricky, does it do it in any other app or just safari? Thanks for the help.

So so far we know it happens with a Logitech MX700, an MS Intellimouse Optical and a Wacom Graphire with the little plastic mouse, and not with a cheap Gateway mouse.

Anybody else have or not have this issue with their mouse & Safari?

ok, just got jag yesterday and have tried to reproduce this with my graphire2. no go. however, i have noticed that it often gives the perceptual illusion of doing this. safari only scrolls one line at a time, which is very slow compared to other scrolling. we are accustomed to watching a line scroll way up with each notch on the wheel. our eys move in reaction to this but the line only moved a small amount. it actually appears to move in the opposite direction for a moment. but careful checking of position relative to cursor shows that it has moved in the right direction. this effect would be amplified if you were moving the cursor upwards at the same time as you have increased the relative distance from your perceptual anchor.

sorry, not anything but a neat parlor trick. :D

however, that being said, i want to be able to adjust the scroll because i don't like the slow one line at a time!! nor the visual frustration of this effect. :(

Originally posted by edX
sorry, not anything but a neat parlor trick. :D

Nope, sorry. Not on my computer. I can be nearly at the top of the page on a page like this, scroll up and Safari will jump all the way down to the very end of the page. Nice theory though.

If you want to control your scroll speed get USB Overdrive (http://www.usboverdrive.com). According to the author you can use it as long as you want for free until you like it so much that you feel guilty not paying for it.

I was very happy when I saw that the scroll was '1 line' at a time. Makes uControl (http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/) much smoother on laptops and gives the user more power to customize. Might be nice with a preference to increase it but it's much better like it is than how other browsers do it.

OK its happening with me too.

Im using a Logitech MX300. It seems to be all ok when I deactivate the "accelerating scroll" and use normal "scrolling" from the logitech "Control Center" preference panel. You know, after using Safari for this and that, I must say my socks are still on. It doesnt seem any faster to me, just less-configurable, and it is not very DOM compliant. I have javascripts that work everywhere but in Safari. Oh well...

I just went over and tried it on my cousin's iMac and happens for him too! Who wants to bet that the reason that some people haven't been able to duplicate the problem is either:
1. I didn't explain it very well.
or
2. It only affects certain mice.
Hmm?

So it happens to you guys also BitWit & Androo! Thanks for posting it and welcome to the club! :D Androo, can you really get it to happen in any other app? I can't... What kind of mouse are you using Androo?

For anyone confused about what I'm talking about (or the unbelieving ;)), I used Snapz Pro X to get a movie screen capture of it happening to me on this page. It's a bit laggy because of Snapz Pro, but I think you'll definitely get the picture.

It's in MPEG-4 so you need QuickTime 6 to see it.

Click Here to Watch a Fun Movie :) (589 KB)
(Keep in mind -- I am scrolling UP during this clip! :eek: :confused: )

well, you're right, that's definitly different than my visual perception theory. i still can't do it so we can rule out the mouse type. since some can and some can't, a good place to start might be other apps - like how many of you that are getting this are using the usb overdrive? maybe having inkwell enabled? look for similarities on other levels. perhaps everybody used the same dethemer. it's got to be something else than just safari.

I hope you're right Ed. Here's the data as I see it so far:

Possible Culprits

USB OVERDRIVE OR OTHER 3RD PARTY MOUSE DRIVERS
- Don't think so -- it happens to me (USB Overdrive), Ricky (Wacom drivers), BitWit (Logitech Control Center), and my cousin (Original Apple drivers).

TYPE OF MOUSE
- Don't think so -- it happens with a Logitech MX700, an MS Intellimouse Optical, a no-name CompUSA mouse (that's all the scrollmice I can get my hands on), a Logitech MX300 (BitWit), and a Wacom mouse on the Graphire tablet (Ricky).

PURELY SAFARI'S FAULT
Maybe - just because I can find no other common link between the people that it happens to, and we have no way of knowng if the people that it doesn't happen to are just doing it wrong. (I mean, I trust you guys and your computer savvyness but I don't know how well I explained it.) If we could find someone who could get it to happen on one computer and not on another, that would be extremely helpful.

TYPE OF COMPUTER
- Maybe -- no one with a Wintel has reported problems so far. :D Here's what we've got so far:
YES: PowerBook 800 DVI, iMac 800, Lime iMac DV 400, PowerBook G3 500 Firewire.
NO: PowerBook 667, PowerMac DP 533, Grape iMacDV 400

The biggest indication to me that it isn't anything software-wise is that is happens on my cousin's computer, which has had no 3rd party apps installed (his father is a bit of a newbie and thus a bit paranoid) and has the latest OS updates (10.2.3, etc.) They didn't even have Safari until I took the freshly downloaded install file over there yesterday on a CD and dragged it straight from the disk into their applications folder.

THE BOTTOM LINE

We need more data, people! :) Anybody who can get this to happen please post! Also anybody who can't get it to happen, though I'm not sure yet how to treat that data. Please post all possibly relevant specs you can think of about your computer. Here's mine:

PowerBook 800 DVI
1 GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.2.3
Safari
Logitech MX700, MS Intellimouse Optical
Apple Pro Keyboard
3rd Party Hacks/Tweaks:
- DeskEffects
- LiteSwitch X
- MaxMenus
- LaunchBar
- TinkerTool
- uControl
- USB Overdrive
- SoundOn!
- QuicKeys
- PTHClock

And my cousin's computer:

iMac 800
? RAM
Mac OS X 10.2.3
Safari
Logitech MX700 (mine for testing)
Apple Pro Keyboard
3rd Party Hacks/Tweaks:
- None.

So please post - anyone who has the time to try this out. Especially if you can get it to happen! :)

Anybody know of someone in this forum who has 2 or 3 or more Mac's with Jaguar and Safari? If the same person could get it to happen on one computer and not on another that would help out a lot.

Time to go searching the forums for a sig with 2 or more Mac's...

Got it to happen on computer #1, #2 is next in line of trying, and #3 is out of order right now...off to try this...

One more thing thou, right after Apple released Safari they released an update, could version numbers be a possible connection?

Thanks voice-! Good point about the version numbers too -- Ed, I assume you have the latest since you just got it, twister & sogni, how about you guys? Latest version is "1.0 Beta (v51)", right? (in the "About Safari" box from the Safari menu). I had the original and then updated, and my cousin only ever had the updated version. How about everybody else?

#2 also had the bug...I think it may have something to do with OS version...so far I've got it to happen with 10.2 and 10.2.1...anyone running 10.2.3 (updates are big and I'm low on bandwith)?

Back