Horrid Safari Scroll Bug

I'm running 10.2.3, Ricky and my cousin are as well. Very interesting that it happens on previous Jaguar versions as well.

Does anybody know how to contact David Hyatt? He has a very cool Safari Weblog (http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/archives/cat_safari.html) and over the past month has posted a lot of info on updates to Safari and has asked for and accepted feedback on different things. I'm pretty sure he'd be interested in this thread, or at least know someone who would be. I think it's awesome of him to do (hope he won't get overwhelmed though) and very nice of Apple to allow him to do so.

I'm not sure what "TrackBack" is or how it works, and he seems to use that a lot. Anybody know how to use it or how to send him a message that could do so?

I couldn't duplicate the bug on my iMac. I'll try it on my iBook on Monday (it's at work).

Doug

Mozilla, OmniWeb and Internet Explorer didn't have the bug, so I guess it's Safari only...

Quake 3, however, have reacted weirdly to the scroll wheel (going down when I scroll up)...maybe that has something to say...

I have a new theory. I wonder if it has anything to do with how the scroll bars are set up. At work mine are one on top and one on the bottom. In the movie they are next to each other. It's just a shot in the dark but you never know.

Ohh and i have all updated software and OS's. I keep on top of that stuff. ;)

Lol. I used to have this problem. But either I've gotten used to it, or the problem doesn't exist anymore for some reason.

PowerBook G4, 10.2.3
Cheap-o IBM Optical Scroll tw0-button mouse
using Kensington MouseWorks software.... works fine, even though my mouse isn't made by Kensington. ;)

no, it's very os 6. :D and probably before that. macs had scroll buttons like that before dos even had windows. :rolleyes:

there are a few things that after doing them that way for close to 20 yrs are just easier to keep on doing.

Originally posted by jeb1138
Ricky, does it do it in any other app or just safari? Thanks for the help.
Only happens in Safari for me. Sorry about the late reply. :)

~EDIT~ By the way, I just sent a bug report to Apple about what the app does under these circumstances, and with which mice it does it with. I suggest you all do the same so they don't ignore my report ;)

Originally posted by twister
I have a new theory. I wonder if it has anything to do with how the scroll bars are set up. At work mine are one on top and one on the bottom. In the movie they are next to each other. It's just a shot in the dark but you never know.

Good idea -- I tried changing my scrollbars as suggested though and nothing's changed for me. Anyone else have success with this?

Thanks for all the info everybody!

Based on:
- The number of people who have gotten this to happen
- The different OS installs & upgrades (10.2, 10.2.1, & 10.2.3, at least) affected
- The number of mice models & manufacturers affected
- The range of different software installed on all the machines
- The fact that a fresh-out-of-the-box iMac has the problem
- The different methods of installing Safari that have been used
- The fact that no one can get it to happen with anything other than Safari

I'm led to believe that it is purely a Safari + possibly hardware bug.

The only reason I say hardware is because of the number of people who don't seem to have this problem. Hardware (type of mac, type of mouse, etc) is the only thing I can think of that could be different. I really wish we could find somebody who could get it to happen on one computer and not another though.

In any case - the problem seems widespread enough with enough different configurations that I think the ball is in Apple's court to fix it. (Unless we can still discover a changeable common link, which would be great!)

I think Ricky is right-on with the bug report idea, I've done so as well. I just wish there were a better way to get the info to Apple! Apple must have gotten hundreds of thousands of bug reports about pages that don't display correctly, etc. This bug affects every page for me and I'd really like to see it fixed in the 1.0 release.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how they, as Ed mentioned, got Safari to scroll so much slower (and smoother IMO! :D) than other browsers?

Maybe I just have a twitchy hand or like to scroll too fast, but this is quite annoying to me! I know, I know -- if you don't like it use a different browser. I'd like to, and am occasionally (as a registered user of OmniWeb), but Safari is so great in so many ways I'd really like to be able to use it without this bug....

Here's to hoping for a fix in the 1.0 release.

If anybody has any ideas for quicker or more direct communication with Apple and/or David Hyatt (just because of his 'interactive' weblog) I'd love to hear them!

Thanks all!

Back