Host a web page on the web, home OSX mac

4C4Blessed

Registered
Hello. the question is pretty simple. Let's hope the answer is also simple.
I've got 4 macs - and each one running a slightly different OS. 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5. In other words, I will use which ever one I "should" use to get the job done in the simplest way. They're all at my disposal to:

Host a web site on the real internet, from my home mac. As I understand, apache is built in. And as I also understand, you can switch it on by enabling personal web sharing. Great! I can then display my own web page to myself on my own local machine. Now, I want people from the real internet to be able to load it as well.

I have a cable modem/router. It's the usual kind that you get from AT&T. It has the usual settings that you can change, including a firewall, etc. It's pretty well standard from what I can see.

I have a domain name for the website netralio.com . Currently it's on a real web server, and gets only developer traffic, very little. But I want to bring it on my own mac and save some monthly hosting charges.

1. How do I "Connect" the domain name to resolve to my home mac? What do I enter for "DNS 1" and "DNS 2" at the registrar company's settings page wherte I bought the domain name? Currently, "DNS 1" and 2 point to my web hosting company's servers (the thing I want to remove from the equation).

2. Do I need to set up any kind of DNS program on my mac?

3. What's the usual changes that one has to do to a typical cable modem+router from a typical ISP (Such as AT&T UVerse Cable) for this to happen? - What if I have a static IP from the ISP? What if I have a dynamic IP which changes now and again? I'm fairly sure it's dynamc, and once in a while the IP assigned to me changes - like for example when I have to reboot the cable modem.

4. As a small test, my local mac is serving the web page to itself "just fine", by the way. I just want people from the internet to be able to load my web page also, by typing in the Domain Name, and having it physically served from and stored on one of my four home macs. I can move the web page to any of the four latest OSX versions if need be, what ever will work best.

Thank you so much in advance!

Back