Hoverboards Are Real!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

wdw_: We all wish they were really, but we also know it'd be much better to face the facts and move with the crowd. Hoverboards arn't real. And even if they were we couldn't do really sick moves on them anyway. :D

Well, you could make your own hoverboard if you really wanted to. Check over at http://www.slashdot.org/ and look up "Warp Drive" or "asymmetrical capacitor" which is one of NASA's recently patented propulsion systems.

Here's what you need:

1. A board, like a piece of plywood about an inch thick, one foot wide, three feet long.

2. Four (4) Asymmetric capacitors large enough to support your weight.

3. A control system to adjust the power going to each asymmetrical capcitor. Your typical light dimmer is basically what you need, but must handle significantly larger power loads.

4. A portable power source capable of providing 30,000 Volts or more for each asymmetrical capacitor.

5. Wood sticks, nails and glue to mount the asymmetrical capacitors.

6. (Optional) Thick rubber insulated suit for preventing electrocution.

Seriously guy, I've seen pictures of this asymmetric capacitor work. It's a wire (circular or triangular) and a piece of metal foil (circular or triangular) aligned so that when you are looking down at it from the top, it looks like one circle or triangle. Attach a wire from the power source to the top thin wire and another wire to the bottom metal foil, apply 30K volts, and you have a hovering propulsion system. Check Google for the websites. There are several websites that show this thing working AND THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS. YOU WILL DIE FROM ELECTROCUTION if you're not careful.

The wierd thing about this is that no one has figured out the physics of how or why it works. The Slashdot crowd suggested this as a precursor to Warp speed because the "asymmetric electric field" is supposedly similar to the "Warp Field" generated by a Warp Field Nacelle.

Ok. nevermind. I found an article on one of the few sites I really trust that says that haverboards aren't real...yet.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/hoverbrd.htm

So, I'll drop it. I just figured hearing the director of the movie saying that they were real was undisputable evidence. But I just want you to all know that I would have been a lot happier believing the lie.:p

Aye, chemistry_geek, there are ways to levitate objects, some understood, some not. I'd be interested to see links for this method you describe.

There are, however, no flying skateboards, and even one constructed per your description could not be ridden the way Michael J. Fox rode that one in BTTF 2. (And from the sound of it, it would be most unwise to ride it across a decorative pond).

What happens if you tilt an 'asymmetric capacitor' board well off the horizontal?

Chemistry Geek that is absolutely the most fascinating thing I have seen. If I believed in aliens I would think that is how they got around. I wonder if that was what crashed in Roswell. A government experiment with this technology. That is my guess.

Way cool.

Thanks for the links.

Matthew

So what you're saying is, "The asymmetric capacitor is what makes antigravity travel possible!"

Whoa, this is heavy...

Originally posted by Inline_guy
Chemistry Geek that is absolutely the most fascinating thing I have seen. If I believed in aliens I would think that is how they got around. I wonder if that was what crashed in Roswell. A government experiment with this technology. That is my guess.

Way cool.

Thanks for the links.

Matthew

I'm glad you liked it. I too found it fascinating that we are on the verge of using new propulsion systems. The most obvious and immediate applications are for use in interplanetary satelites. The french website also showed that X-Rays are generated from the asymmetric capacitor. This is not surprising since X-Rays are generated in this matter but in a vacuum. I've heard that "alien landing sites" have residual radiation, perhaps "they" are using something based on this technology. Currently, there is no technology available to "focus" or deflect X-Rays/Gamma Rays using electromagnetic fields. Focusing/filtering is done with several metal plates parallel to the path the X-Rays/Gamma Rays. Lookup a diagram of an X-Ray diffractometer to see what I mean.

Seriously guy, I've seen pictures of this asymmetric capacitor work. It's a wire (circular or triangular) and a piece of metal foil (circular or triangular) aligned so that when you are looking down at it from the top, it looks like one circle or triangle.

I'm building a 'lifter' for science fair.

Here
is the most informative site about this lifters, they are very cool, I'll post pics and videos when I get mine working.

EDIT: Doh! posted same link as chem geek

i guess the goal is to get an on board energy source that doesnt deplete (nuclear?) and enough of it to power the lifter and an actual load....

or do i have it all wrong? ;)

I think once more money gets put behind this research we really could be on the brink of something revolutionary for our world. Something else interesting to note is that I read a site (I will try to find the link again) that NASA is working on a machine using the same technology to generate energy. I kind of perpetual energy machine.

Here is a small article talking about how Boeing is working on something along those lines. They are working with a Russian Scientist.
http://www.explodingcigar.com/article521.html

Matthew

And at this point, boys and girls, we should remember that playing with high voltage elctricity is something for grown ups to do.
Those of us who can't put together a bookshelf without nailing our own sleeves to the wall should stick to paper planes and maybe those garbage-bag blimps.

Thanks for the links, guys. Very cool.

What's so amazing about making thin tin foil float by charging it with insane amounts of energy? I doubt you could make a hoverboard out of those things..

Well you can make a really cheep "hoverboard" with like a circular pice of wood a tube and a blow dryer

i remember seeing it in the back of a Boys Life magizine

and BTW we have hover craft right? ;)

I got it working last night, I'll try and get the video up in a day or two (its a friends camera, so it could be awhile). I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Back