How Apple sells us customer satisfaction before we've even bought it...

MacLuv

Reloaded
This thread starts from some posts regarding Apple's customer service. I was thinking that perhaps Apple has some "artistic license" in its policies that other companies cannot afford. Explanation follows. :)

"Customer satisfaction" should mean the same thing to both Apple and DELL. After all, they're both selling us PCs, right?

One of the perceptions I see manifested into post is that Apple sells one a "computing experience". For the past two weeks, I've been talking with friends, some of whom work at branding firms, and we've discussed Apple's marketing strategy. It is well known that Apple does not sell one a computer, Apple sells one a lifestyle-- it's been said by marketing experts that Apple is indeed selling us our dreams back to us. I too, thought that Apple's value chain only attempted to capture me through its hardware and OS (the computing experience), however, I cannot escape being part of the LAUB*. To one this lifestyle may be a "computing experience", to another it may be a nice thing that the Cube matches her new office. What this "lifestyle" Apple is selling us is relative, and may already be a part of our life.

I've also been enlightened to why, in fact, the Apple stores look like the GAP--not just due to the CEO of GAP residing on the board--but because Apple gets "free" positioning (mindshare) by design-association with GAP stores. Ever wonder why the switcher ads look like GAP people? Translation: whatever image the GAP represents to one, that image is automatically transferred to Apple. Neat, eh? I've dubbed it Piggyback Positioning. Why do people pay $20 for a cotton t-shirt at the GAP? The GAP is clean, hassle free, easy to purchase from. Even if you don't think you'll ever walk into one, one day you just might. I've got about ten of those damn t-shirts, just because I needed a change of clothes on the run. Hassle free? Totally. (rhyme!) The path of least resistance always wins in a commodities market. Apple is all about differenciation, so it needs to find an easy, hassle-free path for people to follow to its door. Sharing the GAPs image ensures this.

What does this have to do with Apple's customer satisfaction?

There is no spoon.
Apple customers don't buy computers. They buy a yearly pass to AppleLand. Apple just doesn't license an operating system--It licenses the vision, the dream. Wouldn't the world be a better place if everybody just "got it?" ;)

This means that "customer satisfaction" has to be defined differently for an Apple customer. In fact, here's the paradox: the bar for customer satisfaction is actually lowered when a customer buys a yearly pass to AppleLand. Why? Because once the customer is committed to buying into Apple, the customer has already been satisfied. It's like getting into Six-Flags and waiting two hours in line just to experience the newest roller coaster ride for five minutes. Humans. We are funny.

For example, if something goes wrong with an iBook, customers may put up with a little more from Apple, while a DELL customer may demand an immediate replacement. This is where Apple's differenciation pays off for Apple, but in comparison to other companies it's supposed to be competing with, it's just bad policy. This is what I mean by "artistic license".

------------
I need to point out that "lifestyle choice" and "luxury choice" are not the same thing. I've seen a great deal of debate where analogies are made to compare Apple to a luxury car, such as a Rolls Royce. I do not consider this analogy to be valid, for reasons I may explain later. I just don't want anyone to think this observation supports that idea at all.
-------------
*LAUB: Loyal Apple User Base

While you're right that this is what happens to many Apple fans and that it might be indeed part of Apple's marketing plan, there are still things Apple can't deny. And if Apple's service is bad enough, people _do_ get fed up with Apple. I have to say that I've never had bad customer service from Apple (only from Dell), though.

On another note: Who's comparing Apple to Rolls Royce? The usual comparison is PC=Just another car, Mac=Mercedes or BMW. And I think that holds true.

Hmm, not sure I'd completely go with the BMW or Mercedes analogy. I've owned examples of both. and whilst all have been good cars they have distinct charactaristics. BMWs are good quality, but undeniably a bit "flash" and aspirational. Mercedes are also good quality, but for me are somewhat stodgey and self satisfied. IMHO my current wheels, an Audi, is closest in spirt to an Apple computer. Just take a look at the Audi TT - stunning, modern design, high quality, very functional, and achieves great perfomance against the opposition with a seemingly modest specification (the TT has only a 1800cc engine). Remind you of anything?:)

Now I am jealous because I love Audi TT!

As for the Piggyback Positioning :: I love the idea and agree with much of what you say. But (and you may not have meant it like this) I don't feel Apple is piggybacking off Gap. In fact, I feel it is more of what clean smart design can do. There is similarity between the "Gap" experience and the "Apple" experience, but I think both are a testimony to their respective marketing department.

Matthew

You might be right, dave25, however I don't see the latest Mercedes that way and haven't ever been inside of a BMW... (Not that I own a Mercedes, but my father drives the newest C model, my uncle the newest S model.)

And I basically just wanted to make clear no-one thinks of Apple as a Rolls Royce, since that would mean that you can't own one. But the iBook is the cheapest notebook today in Switzerland, period. Can't buy a cheaper notebook, unless you buy a used one.

I've always thought of Apple computers more like Jaguars (in part because I love Jags and dislike Mercedes, BMWs, and Audis).

Like Jaguar, there was a long period of time when Apple struggled under bad management and was viewed as a brand rife with problems (Apple seen as falling behind, being too expensive, and doomed; Jaguar seen as being too expensive and really problem-prone). In recent years, since coming under the control of a different management team (Steve Jobs on the one hand and Ford Motor Company on the other) many changes for the better have occurred. Both companies are seen to have improved on several of their previous weaknesses, both companies have released sleek and relatively inexpensive models, and both companies have embarked upon memorable new marketing campaigns.

Of course, I could just be completely full of it and seeing things where none exist because I want to.

I agree with gwynarion.... Jag have style. BMW and Merc have horse power, but really no style. They are just boosted and over-priced VW. Aston Martin would also be ok for DP G4.

Back