How best backup OSX? OSX newbie here.

MLJ_osxcom

Registered
How best to backup OSX? Are CCCloner or TriBackup what I should use?

How do I best use these? Do they just replace the OSX files? In other words, would all other software & prefs installed still be working after replacing a damaged OSX with my backup? (Like Dragthing, MaxMenus, Fruitmenu, etc)? I am trying to avoid having to reinstall all other software & prefs too.

I am so new to OSX I live in fear of really screwing it up and desire a safe way to correct any major mistakes I might make.

Under OS9.x for years, I just made a backup copy of my working boot OS system folder on another partition/volume. If something ever screwed up my boot volume, I would just reboot under another volume or CD, replace the screwed up sys folder on main boot volume with my working backup, and then just reboot my main boot volume. This always worked just fine and was back in business without much hassle with all original settings extensions prefs etc. I could try new software, extensions without fear, as I could always get back to a working boot OS as it was before any problems.

TIA

solutions are dependent of your configuration.

If your OSX resides in a specific partition, you can use CarbonCopyCloner. The copy will be the exact clone of the partition. Problem can be that you won't have any media to save it, except another partition.
Another solution is to use the app AppleSoftwareRestore (you'll find it in the first CD Restore Apple give you with your machine). It's a convenient solution, working fine.
If the aim is just to have a clean copy of your system resources, you can do as I do : I have another partition with the same 0SX 10.1.4, and some of the "third-parties" I use.
As I'm connected with ADSL, it's not worrying for me boot with this partition time to time, and doing the last system upgrades.
There are other solutions, surely. These are the one I used to deal with.

Back