• I don't have any MP3s.

• 0 GB - 1 GB

• 1 GB - 5 GB

• 5 GB - 10 GB

• 10 GB - 20 GB

• 20+ GB

Results are only viewable after voting.
2381 songs -- 6:15:40:12 total time -- 6.6 days -- 11.01 GB
i love the fact that i can know how many days of music is on here...

most of my music, from cd's, is ripped at 192
and i still have about twenty to go, but i doubt i'll ever get them in.

4502 songs, 320:44:48, 28.97GB = 13 days of music.

Many of these were ripped at 320kbps, using AudioCatalyst and the Xing encoder. This was back in the day when I thought mp3s would be perfect as long as I set the bitrate high enough (boy, I can't wait for AAC/mp4 support on the iPod... I'll re-import my whole collection... hehe ), but oh well. I had gotten fairly good results using this, but I'm much happier since moving to the '---alt-preset standard', using Exact Audio Copy and the LAME encoder. I'm not impressed with how iTunes rips CDs, so has anyone found a better solution? I use my PC, but that's no good when I'm on the go. I frequent an awesome little coffee shop in town here, and I'm friends with the owner, so I love to check out the new music he gets in. The place is a very cool shop, with live bands 4 nights a week and whatnot, so he always has awesome new music playing in there, and I think it would be the coolest thing on earth if I could just bring my iBook in there and copy the CDs that I don't get a chance to listen to while I'm there. (btw, I buy CDs ALL THE TIME, I'm just a big fan of previewing them first). Anyway, iTunes is prone to adding pops and clicks, and I think this is at the encoding level, so here is my question:

Is there a way to use LAME from iTunes, as an alternative to the built in encoder?

Thanks for the help. I'm almost caught up with alexrd in terms of library size, but not in length.

If I remember correctly, someone had written a script to run from iTunes which would automatically encode the tracks using LAME. It would run in the Terminal, but the easy access from the iTunes script menu makes it an attractive option (and it's free, too). As I said, I don't remember *who* wrote and and where to get it, but I know that if you run a search for LAME on macosxhints.com, it'll turn up.

When AAC support comes to the iPod, I thought that you'd be able to just convert the MP3 to AAC without having to re-import the collection. Since I'm not worried about quality, I don't see why that wouldn't be technically possible. Of course, this concerns me because 95% of the CD's I imported music from are now either back at the public library or I gave them away.

Gah, I'm rambling. :D

When AAC support arrives on the iPod, I'll definitely be re-building my library. There will of course be converters available, if they don't already exist, but there is an inherent problem in going from compression to compression. The most simple way I can explain it is in terms of images. Imagine an image compressed to decent .jpg, taken and compressed to .gif. You would have the inefficiencies of the jpeg format on top of those of the gif format (yes, i know gif is only 256 colors anyway, but you know what I'm getting at). My point is, as one concerned with audio quality, it will be important for me to re-create my library from the original source. I'd do it right now (due to the inconsistencies in quality of my currently library) if there was a perfect format out there. Once mp4 is mainstream, I think I'll be satisfied with making it my format of choice.

Don't worry, I ramble all the time.

I have 9.87Mb of music, that runs for 5.6 days, and over 1700 songs. I just have to get an iPod. (Hopefully for X-mas? Please mom and dad...);)

I got more than 10.000 songs wasting 53GB of my disk (min 128kbit, standard 196). Am collecting since I am online (1995). Ok, in these days it's much easier to find songs. In the beginning I downloaded one song each day!!!!!! Now I just grab full albums on mp3-sites (no p2p-tools!!!) and with dsl things are done very quickly.
I got almost 750 albums. And there are still few albums left I didn't unzip and some I lost the password for the zip-files!! ;-)

Back