How can I become root by GUI?

Nachohat

je suis donc je pense
Every time I try to empty the trash I get an error message saying that I don't have sufficient previledges. I am using an administrator user. The trash contains software that was not installed under this user. I can delete this with the command like by loging as root and then using rm -r. How can I become root in the GUI? I want to be able to activate root so that I can be all powerfull and delete everything without using the command line.

Thanx.

You can become root user by going to the netifo application inside your ustitities folder. In the "domain" menu you will see an option for "security" go to that, hit "authenticate" then "enable root user", make sure you turn it off when you are finished. I'm not sure if this empties the trash or not.

If you can't get it empty from the GUI, search the forum for a ferw lines of commands that testuser posted, they'll clean it right out.

I have the same problem with my Trash can.

My first alternative suggestion to you is that you do it with sudo at the command line, because you might end up deleting your home folder or something by accident if you are logged in as root at the Finder.

Another alternative is simply to set up a cron job to delete everything in the Trash as root, like once a day. CronX is my preferred GUI crontab interface (available at VersionTracker).

Back