How Can I Block Those Annoying Ads?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Hey, all you Mac pros out there! :)

Could you please post a link where I can download a good Firefox extension pop-up blocker? At least, I THINK that's what they're called – the extensions that block those annoying Web ads on eBay and Hotmail, for example. Sometimes, they make the Web pages take FOREVER to load just because of those dumb ads! Are they called pop-up blockers? On second thought, I don't think that's the right term... I have my Firefox preferences set to "Block pop-up windows" and yet I can STILL see all those pop-up ads. Apparently, I need something more...

Can you help??? Thanks so much! :)

You can set up pop up blocking natively in Firefox. What you're still seeing aren't called pop up ads; usually they are google ads.

For ad blocking, get the AdBlock Plus extension and No Script. For No Script you'll have to train which pages you want to activate javascript for (this includes flash detectiona as well) but it's well worth it. I love seeing pages with all the ads gone, though they seem a little empty... ;)

Adblock is a must. I also recommend FlashBlock, which will prevent all Flash movies from loading until you click on them.

"Pop-up" ads are the ones that automatically open in separate windows.

There is a way for sites to beat the native Firefox pop up blocker. It's a Flash Plug-In exploit.

I use FasterFox and it has a feature which blocks the new(ish) trick.

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone! I will be installing Adblock Plus from the Firefox extension page first thing in the morning. Thanks again. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

P.S. Just to make sure I have the correct extension, could you guys please let me know if this is the one you're talking about: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

Whoooo! Thanks again, folks! Not sure why I didn't install this AGES ago. Great extension!

I just couldn't resist posting my thanks and appreciation one last time. I installed ABP this morning but really haven't had a change to navigate the Web until now ... and it is UNBELIEVABLY fast now that I don't have to wait for all those Web ads to load. It truly is amazing how much of a difference this extension makes. So, again, thank you to those who recommended ABP. ::love::

"So, again, thank you to those who recommended ABP. "

Same here... ABP is great, installed it a few hours ago after reading the post. Can't believe I've used Firefox (BonEcho) all this time and never used the extension before. Great tip and with my satellite download speed of approx. 1Mb it makes a real difference.

"So, again, thank you to those who recommended ABP. "

Same here... ABP is great, installed it a few hours ago after reading the post. Can't believe I've used Firefox (BonEcho) all this time and never used the extension before. Great tip and with my satellite download speed of approx. 1Mb it makes a real difference.

I know! I feel the same way! I've been a huge fan of FF for a long time and it's my No. 1 browser ... can't believe I've been putting up with all those Web ads and didn't install ABP sooner. Now I'm really glad I started this thread. Lots of good info here! This is such a great site, all around.

Back