how can I connect a G4 imac to a pc network ?

jsn

Registered
Hi,

I have 4 pc with windows 98 connected, and I woull like to add a new imac running under mac os X to share files and printers.

what is the best wayt to do it ?

what software do I need? i read about Dave and it does not allow to share printers with pc :-(

thanks for your help.
jsn

This more of a software configuration thing than hardware, so you're gonna have better luck with it over there.

another option is to use sharity from www.obdev.at, a kickass CIFS, SMB etc program (thats even free if you are a student)

i would NOT recommend DAVe (although it is possible to share printers with it) - i've been using it for about two years now, and it's always ben an unstable piece of ....

for info on mac-pc integration apple has released a nifty little document called mac_pc.pdf - i've put it up for you on my iDisk. just check out my public folder, my iDisk member name is zeppo.

(in case you haven't got an account, go to apple.com/itools and take it from there)

'ave a good one

zeppo

thanks zeppo

I will take a look to the documents at home on my job I work with pc only.

You could setup appleshare on your PC network. I'm not exactly sure how this is done. But at my work, completely PC with NT servers, there are a few computers on appleshare and alot of printers on appleshare. Don't know if this helps. But I use OSX built in smb support to browse my PC at work and even backup my mac hard drive on my PC. I figured what better use for a 30GB dell than to use it as a backup drive.(he, he, he....):D

Good Luck.:)
SA

I don't think it does. But you can use OSX built in SMB feature to connect to a Windoze box if there is a share volume available. Just make a folder on your target machine sharable and you should be able to connect easy as pie.

SA

Originally posted by jsn
Hi,

I have 4 pc with windows 98 connected, and I woull like to add a new imac running under mac os X to share files and printers.

what is the best wayt to do it ?

what software do I need? i read about Dave and it does not allow to share printers with pc :-(

thanks for your help.
jsn

OK...

I'll try to help on both OSes..

For Mac OS 9 and older

Say you need the PC to talk to the mac, you must first make sure the PC understand the Protocal. In Mac OS 7.02 onwards you'll need to buy a copy of MacLan and install it on the PC... this application will make the PC understand AppleTalk.

and
For Mac OS X

If you set up the Network controls to use TCP/IP and installed Dave and allocate a WorkGroup name (make sure it's the same as the pc), give it a IP & Subnet then your PC should see it.

If your using Dave be sure to check it's manuals... has everything you need to connect the two...

Hi

it looks like SMB allows to share files between PC and Mac.

But how do you share printers on a windows 98 pc network when I add a new imac running under mac os X ?

thanks
jsn

You should be able to share printers with mac. Go into the print center app and use LPR by IP. This will aloow you to use the LPR function of UNIX. All you have to do is find out the network IP address of the printer.I don't know alot about LPR because I use Appleshare, so someone else here may be able to help you more. As for all of the third party apps people are suggesting, Dave will allow you to do everything you want from OSX. The only problem with Dave is that there can be a kernel crash when you use back up programs like rsync across network shares. But all of these third party apps are really not needed. Apple has everything you need built into OSX, you may just have to read a little or ask some Unix experts how to do these items. SMB/Samba has been pretty stable in the UNIX community for awhile now. I used to use samba on my Linux box all of the time. I ste LPR up once on that box, but that was so long ago, anything I told you now would just be a guess.

SA

Back