How can i get those old developer releases of Rhapsody?

The person to PM would be RacerX. He's got all the information you need regarding NeXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, and Rhapsody.

Officially, you _can't_ get Rhapsody DR 1 or 2 anywhere, probably, since it was never publicly released. Those who have it, would probably still violate something if they sold the discs... That said: Maybe it _is_ on eBay sometimes?

If you go to the thread "Post your Desktop", you'll see a post by RacerX where he mentions that name of a site that still sells NeXT/OPENSTEP stuff. I might look into it since I have always been intrigued by NeXT and their OS.

Generally speaking, when people ask about Rhapsody I tend to point them at getting a copy of Mac OS X Server 1.x. It is a release version of Rhapsody, so it functions nicer than the developer releases, and it can run on a wide range of systems (I've had it installed on a Power Macintosh 7500 with a PowerPC 604/132, and the last versions supported early PowerMac G4s). Plus most of the software for Rhapsody runs on these later versions.

If someone wants a copy, they tend to pop up on ebay from time to time. There is a copy of Rhapsody 5.6 (Mac OS X Server 1.2) on ebay right now (here). And that is the version I spend most of my time in.

I spent a couple hours last night putting together these pages (here and here) in Rhapsody running on my Power Macintosh 8600/300. And had some fun with that system last week making this page (I was working with Mathematica in Blue Box and thought I would see how it compared to other systems).

Otherwise, most of my time on that system has been updating my NeXT site recently (which I could do in OPENSTEP, but I find that I'm just more productive in Rhapsody for that type of thing :D ).

Back