How can I install 10.2 over a corrupted 10.1.5

sabunab

Registered
Hi There,

Can anyone suggest an answer to my problem.

I have 10.1.5 installed on the same disk as 9.22, but a while back I changed all permissions to r/w all, which messed evrything up, now i cant boot into 10.1.5 - blue screen....

so I have been using 9.22 ever since. (I have tried many things to correct the permissions on os x but with no luck.)

I have a new 10.2 disk, but I'm not sure how to install it.

Do I :

a - Install it over the exisiting system, so it updates to 10.2
(I have heard there is a conflict when istalling over 10.1.5?)

b - Fomat the HD and install a fresh (hassle !)

c - Delete all the old 10.1.5 system files and install

d - Partition the disk for os 10.2

If possible I want to keep the applications I installed peviously on 10.1 to avoid re-installing it again, but will the messed up permissions still cause issues? - are there any files from the old system I can back up and copy into the new one?

I will be most gratefull for any suggestions
:)

Save all the documents and other files you need to cds or dvds. Formatting and clean install will work much better trying to fix the system. (Don't forget bookmarks, addressbooks, even mailboxes f you like etc.). Welcome to 10.2 :)

thanks for you reply,

I am only a little concerned that doing that will disrupt my workflow, everything is running fine in 9.2.2.

Do you think it is worth me going through that and updating ad moving into 10.2?

I wasn't overly impressed with 10.1, is 10.2 much better?

also, I have about 60 gig of stuff on both hard drives, I could burn it all on to dvd's but that would take 12 dvd's and about 24 hours to do...

Is there a way I can remove the old 10.1.5, install 10.2, but leave 9.22 completely untouched?

As I am a multimedia designer, many of the applications I use are not native to 10.2 yet - is the new classic mode in 10.2 more usable than the old one?

Sorry for all the questions, I apprieciate your time..

My spec is

G4 933
768 MB Ram
60 gig
40 gig
+ Cinema Display 20" - soon!

how about this - insert 10.2 disc and begin install. once it has rebooted and gives you a screen to choose from, go up to the installer menu and select disk utility. repair your permissions. (everyone should do this unless they're reformatting) then do an archive install, either retaining your prefs or not. either way you'll have your old users and library backed up.

Nice 1 !

Will give that a try, but i have tried repairing the permissions before, using the special utility I downloaded from the apple site.

Didn't work, but this may be a better way to do it.

the problem is i changed ALL permissions on the whole disk to r/w all........don't ask why, I'm a doughnut.

well, at worst, if that doesn't work well enough for you, then you can do a reformat install. i always figure try the path of least hassle first.

Back