how can I share libraries btween 2 itunes on 2 boxes?

barker

Registered
Hi.

I have iTunes running on 2 boxes in my house, with the library of mp3 files on my desktop in the office. I have an old 1400c running as a networked mp3 player using iTunes. When I add new music to the music folder on the desktop, I then have to add it manually to the library of the iTunes on the powerbook.

What I want is to share the library file between the two apps. Is this possible? Somebody out there has to be doing this.

Any insight would be appreciated.

In iTunes Preferences->Advanced you can set the location of your music folder.
You could via AppleShare point that to the correct folder on your other mac.
Remember to mount the partition before starting iTunes.

I have a similar setup. All my Mp3's are on a FreeBSD (Intel) box, and I access them via NFS file sharing to all of the Mac's running iTunes.

The reason for using NFS instead of AppleShare is that the current version of NetAtalk AppleShare deamon for FreeBSD (and linux etc..) only supports 32 char. filenames, so I had all sorts of weird problems with mp3's with longer file names.

Between two OS-X boxes AppleShare should work ok. Aside from the filename length problem it should probably work on "classic" Mac's also...

so does iTunes update the library at launch to reflect the contents of the selected "music" directory? If so, then great. If not, then this doesn't help me, as I would still have to manually add new songs to the library on the player machine in the living room.

?

If you make an alias of the file "iTunes Music Library" from the "main" Mac and put in the "player" mac's iTunes folder this should be no problem.

Back