how can you test wireless signal strength?

ontangent

Registered
Hi

I have just set up a new wireless network at home with a linksys wag54g and a Asus wl-330g ethernet bridge into my G4 graphite. ( i would recomend the wl-330g to others without an airport card as it just connects to the ethernet port)

What i want to do is see how strong/or quick the signal is between the two, or if their are any other networks near by. Is their a Mac OS X tool for this as i am not using an AirPort card?

thanks

tristan

Doesn't Internet Connect provide the functionality to test the signal strength? I know it provides a gauge that displays signal strength.

Viro said:
Doesn't Internet Connect provide the functionality to test the signal strength? I know it provides a gauge that displays signal strength.
The Internet Connect only shows devices such as internal modem, bluetooth, apple airport and vpn. Third party devices are not listed in here. In the case of my dlink pc card DWL-G650 I can only use the orangeware drivers, which have a signal strength indicator or iStumbler.

I think the best way to test out connection speeds is using the “airport management tools” available from apples site. The package consists of two applications:

Airport Management Utility (allows you to configure multiple AX, monitor signal strength, look at logs, see what MACs are connected etc..).

I can’t remember what the other one is called but I think it monitors strength and speed.

Visit:
http://www.apple.com/support/airport/

There you will find “airport management tools” beneath “additional resources” on the right hand side of the page.

Alternately here is a, for now, working link to the dmg:

http://download.info.apple.com/Mac_OS_X/061-1087.20040419.AptmG/2Z/AirPortManagementTools.dmg

Zammy-Sam thanks for the input :)

fergus_n : that's a tip Brilliant ::love::

how come these are not part of the standard OSX utilities ?

whats the difference between airport management utility and AirPort Admin Utility ?

Back