How come nobody mentioned this? ColdFusion on OSX?

No. Macromedia absolutely does charge per-CPU... I missed that comment in TommyWillB's post ("Most of its competetors charge per CPU, so in comparison this is cheap."), or I'd have commented on this earlier. A little research on MM's site reveals:

JRun 4:
1 cpu - $899
2 cpu - $1799
4 cpu - $3599

CF MX:
1 cpu - $3399
2 cpu - $6798 (!)
(no 4+ cpu offering seemed to be on the website).

Now, it may be that the CF license is not enforced in software. In the 4.x days, all you needed was a valid key - and it was possible to reuse the key across machines, there was no cpu-count-check, etc.. I don't have a clue what it is today with CFMX, but if it's like other commercial server SW, it probably doesn't do a whole lot of checking.

So, yeah, you probably could drop a single-license version on a dualie and have it work, but that's not the same thing as not charging for it...

We're running CF 4.5 Enterprise on Solaris and have never been told it is a per/cpu deal.

Possibly wer were misinfrmed, or maybe it changed since then...

Funny, loads of people seem happy that Cold Fusion has landed on OS X .. ,most of them not quite sure what it does!

LOL!

Anyway. Yes, Cold Fusion is a development platform Macromedia acquired from Allaire some time ago .. no, Macromedia _ acquired_ Allaire some time ago.

It's a very easy-to-use / easy-to-learn system that, as our American friends would describe as a Soup to Nuts solution.

It's also quite bloated and slow. Unlike php, which is compiled into or part of something else, such as Apache, Cold Fusion is a big old application that site atop the host operating system and devours huge resources.

It's fast [to develop with], it's fun [well, sort of...] and it's RAD [Rapid Application Development] but it's also _very_ expensive [when you're thinking of developing a web site for unlimited access]

You'll know when you arrive at a Cold Fusion driven web site, all the file names will end will a .cfm

Hope that helps...

Yeh, I noticed the demo download when downloading the DWMX 2004 demo... was thinking to give it a go. We tried getting into it when Allaire ran it (3 years)... but we're using PHP now.

Originally posted by octane
Funny, loads of people seem happy that Cold Fusion has landed on OS X .. ,most of them not quite sure what it does!
It's also quite bloated and slow
Cold Fusion is a big old application that site atop the host operating system and devours huge resources.
I don't totally disagree, but the fact is if you work with a ColdFusion site, you are at a general disadvantage trying to do development on your Mac (vs. your Peecee coworkers). So most of the excitment is that I don't need to rely on my PC so much.

Secondly, it sure would be great to MOVE that friggn ColdFusion site off of WinDoze and onto my Mac... The developer version does not let me do that because it is single-user only.

As far as bloat goes, I have to say it has a TON of features that ASP lacks (unless you buy Windows COM/DLL or Unix .so extensions... which makes IIS less 'free" than it seems.). PHP is great because it, like ColdFusion, is feature-loaded, but I have to say the ColdFusion ones are a lot easier to learn/use. I'll don't mind the CF bloat because I think the features are great! (And comparing my previous W2k CF setup to our work Solaris-CF setup, I have to say Solaris doesn't even blink. CF runs faster on solaris than JBOSS...)

Regarding the CF App server... You comments are right when discussing pre-MX versions. Those were combined App servers that leveraged a lot of OS specific stuff. On MX this instead sits on top of a J2EE... which is where JRUN comes in.

Since this thread started (Feb 2002) I've converted all of my personal site from ISP-hosted W2k ColdFusion to home-hosted OS X PHP. (We're still using Solaris CF at work) PHP is cool, but functionally my site ended up quite different than what it was under CF because I did things the easiest ways I could figure out. I am anxiously awaiting the added (image handling) functionality of PHP 4.3 which, I hope, will come with Panther.

basically, it is a free alternative to Macromedia's ColdFusion MX 6.1 application server. there is a pay version as well, and the tag compatibility is very good.

scoobysnax, thanks for posting this very interesting update to the thread that won't die!;)
From newatlanta.com:

What's the Catch?

So what's not allowed in the free BlueDragon Server edition that is allowed in the other editions? Have you got a hand free to count along? The free Server edition doesn't support CFEXECUTE, CFGRAPH, CFOBJECT, CFWDDX, CFSCHEDULE, and CFSERVLET. (By the time you read this and more MX-level language features are announced, it's possible that some of those new features will be held back from the free edition.) Okay, you'd need six fingers to count that, but CFSERVLET is deprecated in CFMX anyway.

Speaking of servlets, the free Server edition also does not offer servlets/JSP integration, nor CFX Java custom tags. Also, the number of included DB drivers is limited, and you can only run it with Apache on Linux and IIS on Windows.

Still, for free, you're getting an awful lot. And the Server JX edition, which adds those features and more, is still at its introductory price of just $549 (regularly $999). The J2EE edition, starting at $2,499, enables you to deploy your CFML as a standard J2EE Web app on any J2EE server, including WebSphere, WebLogic, Sun ONE, JRun, Oracle, Borland, JBoss, Tomcat, and more.
I know this is a Mac thread, but it I noticed that only the J2EE $2,499/CPU version is the only one that runs on Solaris.

where did you get that list of unsupported tags? its very outdated. here is current: CFAPPLET,CFGRID,CFGRIDCOLUMN,CFGRIDROW,CFGRIDUPDATE,CFREPORT,CFAUTHENTICATE,CFIMPERSONATE

all stuff i very rarely use- i never use CFGRID, nor do I ever use cfreport. I've also written a CFX Java custom tag to replace CFMAIL and it works great on the free version.

let's not also forget the NEW tags introduced in BlueDragon like:

CFASSERT,CFBASE,CFCONSTRUCTOR,CFDEBUGGER,CFFORWARD,CFIMAGE!,CFIMAP,CFPAUSE

the 6.1 final release is very new, still only a few weeks old. That document probably refers to version 3, i think they even have the version 3 downloads on their website still.

I understand your point... but it is on a page with a very large pominent link to 6.1 at the top.

So obviously they took the time to update the page to add that link...

Back