how do i access my computer from the road?

bolindilly

John Galt Member
i'm stupid, and i don't know what i'm doing (orry). i have a g4 which i'm on now. i'm connected 24/7 via tcp/ip. how do i set up my g4 so i can access my files on the road from my ibook (using ehernet or dialup)?

any help greatly appreciated...
BoLinDlly

Originally posted by bolindilly
i'm stupid, and i don't know what i'm doing (orry). i have a g4 which i'm on now. i'm connected 24/7 via tcp/ip. how do i set up my g4 so i can access my files on the road from my ibook (using ehernet or dialup)?

any help greatly appreciated...
BoLinDlly

this is not meant to be rude, but this is certainly available in the mac help file included with the OS... simply selct Mac Help from the desktop's Help menu item...

quite easy...

what do i type into fetch to access my computer? i've accessed it already through my network (locally) by just using the ip address, but what address do i use from outside my network???

thanks for your help though,
BoLinDilly

Originally posted by bolindilly
what do i type into fetch to access my computer? i've accessed it already through my network (locally) by just using the ip address, but what address do i use from outside my network???

thanks for your help though,
BoLinDilly

Your machine is going to need a static IP address. I would got to http://www.stepwise.com and follow the instructions for installing OpenSSH. Then you can access the command line of your Mac using one of the RSH applications. At the curent time, you can not access the Quartz interface. This may change. If you are looking to access the machine with a user interface, you will have to install XFree86 on your mac and boot to the console mode. XFree and Quartz can not operate at the same time. If you start X on the Mac, you can then use an XWindow manager on the remote machine.

Michael

enable file sharing in the control and use file sharing via ip... oyu can access all the files as if the were a networked drive... no unix hacking/ftp/or any difficult carp.

appleshare via IP, just like under OS9.

sometimes you geeks make things so difficualt sounding.

jeesh.

how do i actually <b>access</b> the computer from other places outside of my network. what app/ address?

thanks again,
BoLinDilly

this is assuming you have cable modem / dsl...

1. find out your IP addres in the network control panel s, write it down.

2.(a) on your remote machine in OS9 use the chooser and input your IP address .

(b) on your remote machine in OSX you can use the "connect to server" command in the go menu. in put the ip address... it will prompt you for your username and password.

about your machine you are logging into:
•if you have dial up in osx i think you are screwed... (i could be wrong)
•if you have dial up in os9 you can set up the remote access control panel to answer the phone.

msimpson, you used these terms...

i installed openssh on my machine, now what do i do?

anso, where do i get xfree86?

anyone, how do i do this stuff?

thanks once more,
BoLinDilly

Question: Do you want a GUI or not? The way I have my system set up right now, I ca login to my computer from any other computer with a connection to the internet... and has an ssh client.

"What's an ssh client?"
Simply put, it's telnet but secure, which allows you to rempotely connect to machines with sshd setup.

"Sshd..?"
It simply makes ur computer a server that can be accessed by outside computers... sort of like apache as a webserver.

"So, what do I do?"
1. Pull up a teminal prompt and cd to \etc
2. pico hostconfig (aka type that at the prompt)
3. add the line: "SSHSERVER=-YES-" without the quotes after the last line.
4. reboot

That's it, ur server is all setup. Now, you need a program to be able to ssh into ur computer from another computer. Any osx machine will let you do it at a terminal prompt. Just type ssh "ur login name"@"ur ip address" without the quotes. To copy stuff when ur already sshed into ur home machine, use scp "the file" "ur login name"@"the ip of the computer ur CURRENTLY on":"the file".

If your not on an OSX machine, you can use Nifty Telnet 1.3 - SSH. You can find it on versiontracker.com Make sure you get the one with ssh. The GUI's pretty intuitive.

Also, you could set up ur ur homepage by turning on webserver in Network preferences and put everything you want on ur webpage.

I'm note sure how good filesharing is yet...

HTH,
F-bacher

when i'm on the road, and i type in my home ip address, how does to client know to go directly to go to my computer? don't all isp's have access to using these numbers? if this is wrong, then what address to i type into my ftp client when i'm outside my network to ftp into my machine???

thanks for any help,
BoLinDilly

ok, this is basically what you need to know:
You can get access to the command-line interface on your computer if you compile and install SSH 2.3.0 as per the instructions on http://www.stepwise.com (or if you just enable SSHSERVER=-YES- in hostconfig, but you might need to generate some keys by hand if you do).

Using this, you can get an SSH client (I use NiftyTelnet 1.1 SSH on OS 9, and on OS X there's the command-line based ssh program). Enter your IP - if it's static then this should be easy, otherwise you might need to set up some sort of Dynamic DNS service to give you a name pointing to your IP, but I'm not sure of how to do this on OS X.

When you connect using SSH, you will be asked for a username and password. You can type any username/password that you can at the OS X login screen (except root, but you can use su to become root later).

I think I'm correct in saying that there is no FTP server in OS X... But OS X should let you connect using Apple File Sharing over TCP/IP or whatever it's called. This will enable you to get access to your files.

At the moment there's no way of getting access to your GUI remotely (the windowserver doesn't enable remote connections and there aren't any 3rd party solutions as of yet). You can run XFree86 X Windows server, but that's probably too high-level and unuseful for you at the moment :)

Hope that helps.

i'm ssh'd into my other computer, and i'm in the directory of a file i want. what do i type into the terminal to copy the file from the other computer onto my comp???

sorry, but i don't know much about unix (maybe i should be in the newbie section...)
BoLinDilly

go to the Sharing panel in System Preferences.app
Click the checkbox called "Turn on FTP access" so it shows a check.
Then you can FTP to your computer.

Originally posted by Angus_D
go to the Sharing panel in System Preferences.app
Click the checkbox called "Turn on FTP access" so it shows a check.
Then you can FTP to your computer.

Or if you want it to do it securely do this:

If you have a file on your computer you want to move to your other computer (aka the one at home, you're on the road), pull up a terminal window and type in:

scp [file to transfer [username]@[remote machine's ip]:[file to transfer]

If you want to go the other way, first ssh into your machine at home by:

ssh [username]@[remote machine's ip]

then go the the directory where the file you want to copy back to the computer your currently on is and type:

scp [file to tranfer] [username]@[current machine's ip]:[file to transfer]

In both cases, the file will end up in ur home dir on ur respective computers. Why use ftp over scp? Because, like ssh, scp is secure, and like telnet, ftp is insecure. If you need to move a whole bunch of files, first tar it, using:

tar -cf [file to compress].tar -pvP -C [full directory location of file] [file to compress]

Then you can transfer the tared file and decompress it with:

tar -xvf [file.tar]

Whew, that's a ton to absorb. Of course, you could have gotten that all out of the manpages too :)

HTH,
F-bacher

Stupid html stuff... interpreted my less than/ greater than signs as html code, had to change it all to brackets.

[Edited by Ghoser777 on 12-11-2000 at 07:06 PM]

Back