How do I automatically login on restart?

J-Man

Registered
Hi folks...

Let me first say I'm a total novice when it comes to administrating a server... which is why I'm using OSXServer. It's got to be at least somewhat easier than other servers.

I'm an administrator on my own Xserve. I can't figure out how to get the Xserve to restart without having to manually enter my login name and password.

I've gone to system prefs... and set my "login options" to automatically login on startup. But, it just doesn't seem to work... or 'take.' I've tried both displaying a list of users or name/password -- thinking this might affect it somehow. (Doesn't seem to.) I've also tried logging in as root and making these login settings. No matter what I do... I always end up with a name/password login window... and the server won't start if I don't enter them.

Of course... this is a problem if I have to restart it remotely, which is sometimes necessary 'cuz Lasso gives me problems.

So, I've also tried going to the workgroup manager to see if something in there would be the ticket. If there's a ticket, I can't find it.

Seems simple... just want the server to automatically login on restart.

Any help would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "the server won't start"? You don't have to login for the services that run on your server to begin running; they'll be started at boot. :)

Michael

I was under the mistaken belief that in order to actually have all the various services startup, that an administrator would have to be logged in.

Gee... there's the login window staring at me... with all the services running.

Thanks!

:)

No problem. Most folks want their servers logged out for security reasons anyway.

Feel free to ask any questions you have! Gotta learn sometime, right? :)

Back