How do I backup all users on one CD ?

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
Let me first explain the situation.
User A (me) is administrator of Mac1 and Mac2.
Users B, C and D also have account (not admin) on Mac2.
I am logged as A on Mac1, and I can connect on Mac2 as A.
Now, while being logged as A on Mac1, I want to backup all user's data from Mac2 on the CD-R placed on Mac1 (Mac2 has no CD-R).

I don't find how to copy all user's data from Mac2 to Mac1 without having to play with the permissions first, and I know that if I start changing permissions, then I'll screw up.

How do I do that ?
Can I logg as super-user on Mac2 ? Currently I monted Mac2 as a server on Mac1 and Mac2 is /Volumes/Mac2. But I cannot cp -R /Volumes/Mac2/users . because of permission problems.

To give you more info,
Mac1 is running 10.2.4
Mac2 is running 10.1.5

I found my way, partially:
1) ssh Mac2
2) cd ..
3) sudo tar -cpz -f B.tar B/*
4) sudo chmod 777 B.tar

Now I have a single file that has all the content of the user's directory, and it is compressed.

I still need to get it on Mac1 to then push it on the CD-R

Done in the finder !

Menu Go -> Connect to server ... Mac2
And then drag and drop to a local folder.

Now I erase B.tar to free some space, and I start again for users A, C and D.

I cannot use sudo to copy across from a remote machine. But I've found my way with ssh, sudo tar, sudo chmod and then copy in Finder.

Since you use ssh to acces the machine you might as well user sftp to transfer the files back to the machine you are sitting on.
And there is a way to workaround the need to use the su command, that is by logging on as root via ssh.

I've tried the sftp, but I had permissions problems on the local machine.

I didn't try to log as root via ssh. How do I do that ? Is it safe ?

Login on as root is safe due to the fact that you are on a local network.
First you have to activate root on the machine you are going to log on to, NetinfoManager>security>enable root

Back