How do I connect a PC laptop to Max OS X?

mindbend

Registered
I know nothing about PCs, but my biz partner uses one and we want to be able to have him hop on our OS X network. Seems like this should be easy, but we can't seem to figure it out. DO we need third party software (Dave/PC MacLan) or can we do it natively? Both machines claim to be network friendly out of the box. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks!

To give any help you will need to be more specific about what you want the PC user to be able to do.....and vice versa for the OS X users going to the PC.

We just want the PC to be able to "see" the OS X volume to move files back and forth. We don't need to print from the PC or anything like that. We don't even need to be bi-directional, as long as we can move files to or from OS X or the PC that would be fine. We just don't want to have to burn CDs or zip disks to move files back and forth. I'd rather it be user friendly, as opposed to something like an FTP solution or something weird like that.

It may not be what you want but FTP works and is a no-brainer to set up.

Open apple Help and type File Sharing FTP and click on the entry that explains all.

I will think about other solutions...if they come to mind!

If you've got your laptop & mac linked via ethernet, then 10.1 supports cifs and smb sharing natively.

Just select finder->go->connect to server

find out what the name of the laptop is (that windows gives it) and the name of the share you want, then enter

cifs://<name of laptop>/<name of share>

So if your laptop is called CHEESE and your share is called STUFF, then enter

cifs://CHEESE/STUFF

Then hit connect, enter your laptop username & password and it should share it.

if cifs doesnt work, try (for example)

smb://CHEESE/STUFF

Hope this helps (this works for me, linking 10.1.3 & 3 PC's running Windows 2000)

This will allow you to transfer from mac->pc, but might not be what you want.

Stuart M

The cifs options would kinda work for ya. Your PC end wouldnt be able to see osx volumes, but would be able to share files.

i.e. to send files to PC

Mac User dumps files in Shared folder on desktop. These will then appear in
the shared folder on the PC end.

for pc to send files

PC User dumps files in the PC Shared folder. Mac user can then access file
from the shared folder on the desktop

If you want share osx like the PC does, you're probably gonna need either Appleshare / Appletalk (Windows 2000/XP have Appletalk protocols, but I dont know how well they work) , Dave or Samba

Samba is free, but will require quite a bit of compile / hacking to get it to work (although, I think there is a cool config utility for it now. The last time I set it up was on FreeBSD, and it took me a few hours to get it to work good).

Dave is commercial, and I cant comment on its performance.

Samba's performance is excellent (benchmarks show that it rivals even Microsoft implementation of CIFS/SMB) so if performance is an issue, then you should seriously look into Samba.

Oh, this all assumes that your using Windows. If your using linux, or a flavour of Unix, then the easiest way is to use NFS.

Good Luck!

Stuart M

A macintosh with OSX 10.1 can connect to Windows shares right out of the box. Apple has a quicktime clip that illustrates this at

http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/networking.html

All you need to know is the workgroup, the computer name, and name of the shared file folder. You can find this out by right clicking over Network Neighborhood and selecting "Properties" then pressing the identification tab in the window that pops up. For further on this topic, Apple has a knowledge base article.

If you want the PC to see a Macintosh Share then you will need Samba or Dave.

Go To:

http://xamba.sourceforge.net

This site has a simple installer for the Samba package. Once setup it will work fine with just about any Windows version except XP.

Thanks to all for your help!

We're using the FTP method now, but I'm going to try Enrique's tip next and then maybe move up to Samba when I have more time.

I love this board.

Back