How do I copy a DVD?

twister

Howdy
If I wanted to make a copy of my Shrek DVD, what software would you recommend? I only have one DVD drive so I guess I'd have to rip it first.

Any software suggestions?

I think you could just make an image of it with disk utility and burn that, if you just want to make a copy. I'm not sure of the specifics, and you might have to use Mac the Ripper to remove non-copy stuff.

The easiest method is to use MacTheRipper to rip the DVD, then use Roxio Popcorn to burn the resulting Video_TS folder to a blank DVD. In the handful of cases where Popcorn refuses to take the file, you can recompress it using DVD2OneX, then burn in Popcorn.

There are a handful of free, non-commercial equivalents to Popcorn but that, at least, is my method for backing up DVD movies.

I use a program called handbrake, it works awesome on my MBP. You insert the DVD, stop it from autoplaying, then open handbrake. It lets you specify the file type to make it. I make them into Divx files with .avi format. Depending on the length of the movie I adjust the size accordingly, also depending on if it has a ton of CGI....the more CGI the bigger i allow it to be.

Ex: 1.5 hour movie ~ 1400 Mbytes. If it's an older movie, try down around 700 - 750 Mbytes.

1/2 hour show ~ 160 - 180 Mbytes

1 hour show ~ 350 - 380 Mbytes.

Hope it helps,

Brian

CGI? This has nothing to do with CGI. It's about how quickly images change. i.e. you can allow the final size to be less if the movie has a lot of easy-to-compress pictures, i.e. if nothing much changes...

I'm using handbrake, too. It's simply the best tool for converting movie DVDs to anything MPEG-4 (XviD, DivX, MP4, H.264 etc.). What it does _not_ do is copy a DVD to a DVD. For that: MTR/Popcorn or - much simpler - FastDVDCopy (one step instead of two or three...).

Use "MacTheRipper" to rip the dvd onto harddrive, after use any application such as Roxio Toast or DVD2One to record it onto dvd, once its been ripped with mactheripper all copy protection is removed. Renember only to use it to backup dvds you own! ... hehe

Back