How do I designate a default address in Mail?

J Cabaniss

Registered
In have Mac.com and RoadRunner. I use several different addresses (RoadRunner allows five). Entourage lets me designate one of the addresses as the default address. In other words, when I create an e-mail, the electronic address I selected as the default address was automatically used by Entourage, even if the address was on another server that I was using.

Is there any way to do this with Mail? There are some e-mails on which I don't want to use the Mac.com address, primarily fear of my Mac.com getting on the spam lists. Sometimes I forget to select my desired address in Mail and it seems to only default to the Mac.com address.

Any way to change the default?

Joe

Drag the accounts in the account list in the Mail prefs pane so that the one you want to be default comes first.

Originally posted by gumse
Drag the accounts in the account list in the Mail prefs pane so that the one you want to be default comes first.

gumse,

No, that's not the problem. I'm the sole account in the accounts list, but I have five e-mail address (one is a mac.com address and the other addresses are RoadRunner addresses.

Joe

It'd be nice to have a default but mine just composes to which ever email box i have selected last. So from time to time i use my persinal account for work stuff. Oops. Gotta keep an eye on that.

Also you know what bugs me? Is whenever i select some text and then hit replay that is the only text that shows up in the new message. I want the whole message, not just the selected text. Geez. I did check the correct preferance but that didn't help any. It just doesn't listen to me.

And a feature i'd like (besides labels) would be to have an up/down arrow in the messages. I often click on a message only to have the one above or below it open. If i had arrows i could basically scroll up or down though my messages without having to close and re-open message windows.

Twister

Originally posted by twister
It'd be nice to have a default but mine just composes to which ever email box i have selected last. So from time to time i use my persinal account for work stuff. Oops. Gotta keep an eye on that.

Twister,

I tried and tried to accomplish it, but I concluded the same as you, it ain't possible.

Joe

You know. I just put an email address in the System Prefs:Internet setting area and i think it may have worked. I'll know in a few days after testing.

Twister

You know. I just put an email address in the System Prefs:Internet setting area and i think it may have worked. I'll know in a few days after testing.

Twister,

Please let me know. When I do that, Mail always makes my return address the last address I used. I made the setting, as you, did a restart (just to make sure), and it (Mail) would always use the address I last used.

Joe

what can i say, mine always goes back to the default. i also have it as the first account entered in the mail prefs as well. i don't know if that makes any difference. the only time my other address defaults is when replying to an email addressed to it. :confused:

btw - i have one actual account but 3 addresses for it so the second 2 are not enabled as their is no need to check them. but it worked like this as well when i had an enabled mac.com address also.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
i also have it as the first account entered in the mail prefs as well. i don't know if that makes any difference.

Ed,

In all my attempts I discovered that the new e-mail that's created when command-N is used will be the address of the piece of e-mailed that is selected within the Inbox.

I tried rearranging the order of the inboxes (simple, just drag-and-drop) within the main inbox, but that would not override what I describe in the above paragraph.

Maybe somebody will hit one a work around, but until then, I'll just have to remember to get me "from" address.

Joe

well, if it defaults to the selected inbox, that would explain why i've never had the problem. i only have one inbox these days. and even when i had a second, i read it first, then the main one and then did any composing i had to do.

funny how little habits like that can effect things like this and your perception of them. :p

Originally posted by J Cabaniss
Twister,

Please let me know. When I do that, Mail always makes my return address the last address I used. I made the setting, as you, did a restart (just to make sure), and it (Mail) would always use the address I last used.

Joe

If i right click on the mail icon and choose 'compose message' it defaults to the address i put in the internet prefs. However in the internet prefs i just put in an address and nothing else (no other settings). If i click on the mail icon it opens to the last selected mailbox.

Twister :)

If i right click on the mail icon and choose 'compose message' it defaults to the address i put in the internet prefs. However in the internet prefs i just put in an address and nothing else (no other settings). If i click on the mail icon it opens to the last selected mailbox.

Twister,

I'll have to try that. What I've settled on so far is this:

(I don't have anything in the internet preferences, BTW.) Since I have multiple "In" mailboxes (one for each address I use), I arrange their order such that the "In" mailbox for my preferred electronic address is the first "In" mailbox in Mail's drawer. This has the effect of doing what gumse suggested above, i.e., going to preferences and arranging the preferred account to the top of the list. [I was too slow to realize what he was saying. When he said "Account," I thought "User" account as in the Preference pane, Accounts. DUH!]

Now if keep the drawer's "In" mailboxes triangle flippy closed (pointed to the right), I can create a new piece of mail by either clicking the compose icon or using the command-N keys, which will cause the address used to be my preferred electronic address. (The one that is at the top of the accounts listing in preferences.)

Boy, I hope that made sense.

Joe

Originally posted by J Cabaniss
Since I have multiple "In" mailboxes (one for each address I use), I arrange their order such that the "In" mailbox for my preferred electronic address is the first "In" mailbox in Mail's drawer. This has the effect of doing what gumse suggested above, i.e., going to preferences and arranging the preferred account to the top of the list. [I was too slow to realize what he was saying. When he said "Account," I thought "User" account as in the Preference pane, Accounts. DUH!]

Now if keep the drawer's "In" mailboxes triangle flippy closed (pointed to the right), I can create a new piece of mail by either clicking the compose icon or using the command-N keys, which will cause the address used to be my preferred electronic address. (The one that is at the top of the accounts listing in preferences.)

Well, no, that dog "ain't gonna hunt." When you "Compose" (or command-n) the e-mail's address that is created uses the address used in the email that is displaying in the preview window of Mail.

Joe

Back