How do I format my hdd? Where do I get a new one?

onetre

Registered
After hours and hours of the reboot/crash process I managed to somehow get my Office data folder backed up. Other than that it seems all is lost.

I finally booted into the DiskWarrior cd and tried to rebuild the harddrive, but it said it couldn't because there were too many errors. I'm guessing that means that all of my problems are hard drive related and it was simply a coincidence that it happened just after I updated to 10.4.1.

I would like to do a fresh install of Tiger just to see if it works, but I can't run it for some reason. It crashes every time...

Is there a process where I can boot into something to format the drive? Similar to booting into a dos prompt and formatting in windows? I'd like to wipe the drive myself and then (hopefully) install the OS fresh.

Of course, when that doesn't work I'm going to have to probably replace the drive (which I can hopefully upgrade to 100GB...I've got to find a bright side)...what are some sites I can find G4 Powerbook hard drives? I was looking here .

Also, is it a fairly painless procedure? I'm guessing that once I get the weird screws that I don't have a tool for out and remove the plate on the bottom it's a snap out/snap in process.

The HD shouldn't be that hard to replace. As for the other part about formatting, put in your Mac OS X Disc that came with the computer. Restart and hold the "C" key right after you hear the boot chime. The OS X installer will load. Don't do anything in that. Click the "Installer" menu and then "Disk Utility" and then select "Macintosh HD" and then the "Erase" (or "Format") tab.

Just as a side thought, you could also try repairing permissions from there and see if that helps.

EDIT: Yes, that site is a pretty good place from what I hear. :)

EDIT Again: As another side thought, since your going to have the 'book apart I would probably get some RAM and upgrade that. Just to save having to take the case apart again later. From what I hear Tiger runs best on 512MB of RAM. My Mac Mini has 256 and Panther, and it has quite a few beachball cursors.

Oops Edit Again: RAM site: http://www.crucial.com

Hope I helped. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. It's Friday so I'll be up late :D.

Thank you.

I formatted the drive successfully, but everytime I start to install the OS I get a crash. Almost everytime it's the "black box" with an error message in multiple languages...but once there was text that started in the top left and worked it's way down the page. White text on black background (similar to DOS) that appear on top of the actual graphics on the screen.

Just as a final opinion before I shell out the cash...the hard drive is gone and I need to go ahead and order another one right?

This does sound possibly like a dying HD. However, do you have a Apple Hardware Test CD? (Should be on a CD with something that says "OS 9 Install Disc"). Put that in and boot it with the C key and run Apple Hardware Test. It should check the drive. Also, you could load the OS X Disc, enter Disk Utility, select "Macintosh HD" and then look at the bottom of the window where it says "SMART Status". If it says "Healthy" then the HD is fine, - maybe try formatting again. If it says "Failing", etc... chances are the drive is done for.

Edit: Also, check your RAM sticks in the laptop. If one has come loose from it being droppped, etc... It could also cause a Kernal Panic (that black box message that says "You need to restart your computer".)

Also, RAM is very static sensitive. I usually work on computers on a smooth, non-Plastic area (Plastic 'conducts' static electricity.) and spray anti-static spray around where i'm working (not on the computer itself.) Anti-static wrist straps also work quite well. You can usually discharge static from your body by touching the metal frame of the laptop. You might not feel that static shock, but your body always has static built up in it.

I think that if it still has it's stock RAM, the main stick is soldered in.

I just ran the harware test and the the HD came up fine, but I got an error for the memory. Here's the code:

mem_/2/4sodimo/j16top

any clue what that is or where I can find out?

Also, I was going to reseat the ram, but I've got no clue what tool I use to get those hex looking screws off. Is that something I can grab at Wal-Mart? I'd like to check it as soon as possible, so I can get some ram ordered if I need it.

(now I'm kicking myself for formatting the drive...of course, I'm kicking myself for not backing up in the last 6 months too.)

'Hex-looking screws' , sounds like you have a Titanium G4??
If true, your memory is underneath your keyboard, and does not require taking the bottom cover off. Very simple to get at by releasing the 2 latches at the top of the keyboard. You should try reseating the memory in the slot. If you have both slots filled with memory, then leave one out, and run the hardware test again. If it passes, put the other memory back in. and test again. You should be able to determine if the memory, or the slot is bad. This may pass after reseating the memory, so you'll be ok then, too.
note: make sure you have power off when doing any changes to the memory.

onetre said:
(now I'm kicking myself for formatting the drive...of course, I'm kicking myself for not backing up in the last 6 months too.)

Well, I would think of it as in, you will have a fresh install of the OS. Also, yes the RAM can be accessed from right under the keyboard.

I pulled 1 stick of ram and ran the test with stick 1 in slot 1...checked fine.
I test stick 2 in slot 2 and got the error.
I placed stick 1 in slot 2 and it checked fine.

So it looks like it was all just a bad stick of ram. Oh well, i guess I'm off to crucial to place an order.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

onetre said:
I pulled 1 stick of ram and ran the test with stick 1 in slot 1...checked fine.
I test stick 2 in slot 2 and got the error.
I placed stick 1 in slot 2 and it checked fine.

So it looks like it was all just a bad stick of ram. Oh well, i guess I'm off to crucial to place an order.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Your welcome :).

Back