how do i get grab to work PROPERLY

wicky

play thing
is GRAB supposed to work from from the SERVICES pull down menu in any application? mine doesn't seem to.... and neither does anything else in the services menu. has anybody got any ideas how I might activate it?

oh yeah, the other thing... does anybody know how to delete old user profiles/accounts in OSX

cheers

:confused: :confused:

I have never got that to work either... but the same screen shot commands from 9 now work in 10.1... command shift 3 full screen shot, command shift 4 for partial screen shot... the only diffence is it puts the files on the desktop, and not in the hard drive...

thanx.

yeah, i've been using "ye olde shortcuts", but i just though it would be fun to use some of the more advanced OSX features. oh well. how about the second part of the question... got any ideas

in terminal go the the users folder then type the following with out the quotes "sudo rm -r foldername" it will ask for your password (you have to be an admin) and then poof they are gone...

cheers, but no cigar.

'scuse my ignorance (i'm new to the whole linux/ terminal thing), the file is named "user Deleted", and i think the computer has interpreted the command as two different file names. this is what it responded with.....

rm: user: No such file or directory
rm: Deleted: No such file or directory

ahh, ok, one neat thing about unix is the auto complete feature... what you want to do is when you get to the point where you need to type in the folder name, type in the first part and then hit the tab key... so in other words if it is user deleted, then type "sudo rm -r use" then hit tab, as long as there are no other folders or files with a name that starts with what you have typed so far, in this case "use" it will finish it for you... it should look like this... "sudo rm -r user\ deleted" (in unix file names in order to specify a space you need to put a "\" before the space)

Originally posted by wicky
is GRAB supposed to work from from the SERVICES pull down menu in any application? mine doesn't seem to.... and neither does anything else in the services menu. has anybody got any ideas how I might activate it?

yeah, you need to be in an application which can handle pictures.

look, the services - for the most part - are supposed to enhance an app's functionality, so to speak. you don't use grab to make a screenshot and save it to your harddisk. instead, you use grab to include a screenshot in a mail message for example. or into a text document, etc.

do this:
open mail.app.
compose a new message.
go to the services menu and select grab.
grab.app will launch, and a screenshot will be placed in the message.

same goes for most other services, like word.service or calc.service. you select some text and apply the service to the text.

you can only use a service where it makes sense to do so. you can't include a screenshot in a webpage you're viewing, so the grab-service doesn't make sense in - say - omniweb, so you can't use it there. you wouldn't want to in the first place... ;)

look at services as system-wide plug-ins rather than stand-alone apps.

hth

i tried the tab thing, but the computer wasn't having any of it, so i typed it in manually......

"user Deleted: No such file or directory"

.....ok, i'm confused now as the file definitely exists. do i have to type the whole file path in?

hey. and cheers for info about grab.

Haven't deleted an account yet but doesn't the deleted user's directory still reside in the Users directory? Wouldn't it be "sudo rm -rf /Users/user\ Deleted". Unless, of course, you had already cd'ed to /Users. ;)

**edit**Actually it would be easiest to type "sudo rm -rf[space]" (don't actually type the "[space]", I was just indicating that you needed to put a space in there) then drag the folder you want deleted into the Terminal window. Terminal.app will auto-complete the path to the folder for you. Then just hit return.

I usually use * instead of tab when deleting a file whose name contains a space, e.g., in the Users folder type sudo rm -r user*

Perhaps that would work?

Back