How do I get the Apple DVD Player??

Apple DVD Player is installed at the same time as OS X provided it detects an internal DVD player at the time of install.

It should be on your system right now in Macintosh HD > Applications > DVD Player.

If it is not in the Applications folder, then it means 1 of three things:

1. You don't have a DVD player.

2. You do have a DVD player, but it was installed AFTER the last time you installed OS X.

3. You have an External DVD burner (the OS X install will not install DVD Player if you use a third-party, external DVD burner)

If you don't qualify for any one of those (ie. You have an Apple-certified internal DVD player that came with your Mac) then it should be in APplications unless someone removed it.

You can install it, but you need the OS X install discs I'm afraid. Why don't you have the install disc?

Thanks. I don't have the install disc because I bought the computer second hand and the computer came with Tiger on it but the guy never gave me any discs with it..
I have no dvd player in the applications folder, but I'm positive I have a dvd drive and I don't know why it isn't there.. but is there any way I can get it?

aah, hope they gave you a discount because of the lack of OS X CD :( makes it hard for you because you can never reinstall or repair OS X. Did you even get the Hardware Check CD?

anyway, you're a little stuck, because you can't (legally) download DVD Player. In fact, you'd have a hard time finding an illegal copy of DVD Player too, because not many people find themselves in your situation, and therefore wouldn't need to "share" it.

If you had the OS X install CD you could use an app called Pacifist which allows you to look inside an installer package and yank out DVD Player manually, without the need to go through the OS X installer process. but i guess that really doesn't help you here in your situation. thought it was worth mentioning.

Only thing I can think of is - dare I say - buying OS X. might be able to find a bargain on eBay.

I wish there was a free and legal solution here, because you are entitled to the application.

Well I am definitely going to buy the Tiger CD, but not yet because I'm broke. lol. I was just wondering if I could somehow get the dvd player early because I'm impatient..?

you could try VLC. It's free and supports DVD-video but it is veeeeeeery unstable with DVDs (more specifically: DVD menus).

In evey other aspect, VLC rocks and can play anything you throw at it. Just DVD that it falls down. worth a try though.

The unstability of VLC with DVDs, I think, has been solved since 0.8. Or I've only been using it with "good" DVDs then, since I don't have any problems. VLC: Good.

Still: What kind of Mac did you get? If you put a DVD in the drive, does it mount in the Finder so you can see it? Or does the Mac spit it out again...?

It ignores it when I put a dvd in the drive, because in the system preferences there is a control panel for "cds & dvds" and it's set to ignore them because there isn't anything else it can do with them since I have no application for them..

This vlc thing isn't working.. I set it to open vlc in the preferences but when I put the dvd in still nothing happens..

This vlc thing isn't working.. I set it to open vlc in the preferences but when I put the dvd in still nothing happens..

VLC is a cross platform app. This means it might not work as elegant > you have to start it manually. In order to start playing a DVD with VLC you need to select following from the app menu (if I remember correctly): Files > Open Volume > Select the "DVD with menus" radio button and klick on the "OK" button.

Back