How do I grab a photo's URL?

marinade

Registered
Hi. I've just switched to an iMac with wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, after many years on the PC. I wondered how to do the the things with this that I used to do by right-clicking the mouse on the pc. Specifically at the moment how to get the url of a photo on the net. I usd to right-click the photo, highlight and copy the url from properties. How do I do that now?

NB. I've installed both safari and firefox to see which I prefer and am generally finding myself using firefox. Don't know if that makes any difference to the query.

Ta.

Or even simpler, just click and drag the image from your browser right to the desktop. :)

This works on either Firefox or Safari. It's just the nature of the operating system.

Will that pull a full size image down from a thumbnail image link ?

Ah no...in that respect, you do have to control-click if you have a one button Apple mouse or if you have a Mighty Mouse (the one with the scrollwheel from Apple) then you can configure on of the "button" sides on the Mighty Mouse to work as a "secondary button" which would work as a "right-click" (have to think of the lefties, you know, hence why I don't usually say "right-click" ;)). But for any image that you're looking at directly and want to download, you can drag and drop to the desktop.

Thanks for the clarification....missed that part of the OP. :rolleyes:

There are two things you should know about the Mighty Mouse. One is that the "right click" functionality can be disabled. To check whether it's enabled, go to System Preferences' "Keyboard and Mouse" section. The second is that the right-click is a little quirky since it's not a physical button; you may need to release your pointer finger from the left side of the mouse before clicking the right side for it to register as a right click.

Control-clicking will work regardless of your mouse or setup.

Also you can take the mouse from the PC (if it was an USB mouse) and right click like you did on the PC.

Good luck, Kees

how do i get the url of a photo

If you're using Firefox on the Mac, you would control-click (or use the secondary button on your two-button mouse) on the image and select Properties. This would show the URL of the image in FF. It should be somewhat similar in any other browser.

Firefox also has the option in the contextual menu to directly copy the image location that you control-clicked on.

Back