How do I install OS 9.1 on a G5 Panther 10.3.2?

Imagine

Registered
I'm running Panther 10.3.2 on a G5 dual, and would like to install OS 9.1 on my computer. At present there's no sign of OS 9 in the system.

How and where do you install it?

Also, once it's been installed, if I ever wanted to remove it, is that possible?

Thanks
Dean

You can't boot into OS 9, but you can use it in Classic.
Do you have an OS 9 CD? Is it on the G5 DVD install disk?

Though I haven't tried this yet, try installing OS 9 on a disk image with room to spare. Mount the disk image when you need OS 9, it should lauch in Classic mode. I've thought about doind this because of some horrid experiences with Classic and OS X on the same HD. Right now, I don't even use Classic.

all classic really requires is a system folder so if you have a good OS 9.2 system folder lying around anywhere just throw it in your drive and you should be all set. I havent run into any OS X/Classic conflicts. I wouldnt put it on an image, that would be too inconvenient...

Yes, the classic-on-disk-image works great! I had my old Jaguar system set up that way and it worked like a charm. I never used it though, so I haven't bothered to replicate it on Panther.

If you need instructions for setup, just ask and I'm happy to help :)

Imagine said:
I'm running Panther 10.3.2 on a G5 dual, and would like to install OS 9.1 on my computer. At present there's no sign of OS 9 in the system.

How and where do you install it?

Also, once it's been installed, if I ever wanted to remove it, is that possible?

Thanks
Dean

Is there a folder at the root level of your hard drive called System Folder? If so then you already have OS9 installed. To check for sure go to System Preferences > Classic and see if your system can find a valid OS9 system to boot from. If so click start and watch OS9 boot into classic mode.

If not you will have a valid 9.2.2 installer on the Software Restore DVD that came with your G5.

To remove it type the following into your Terminal sudo rm -rf /System\ Folder. That line is critical and MUST be copied exactly (copy & paste) or you could potentially hose your OSX system.

To clarify what dagaz said:
Only type sudo rm -rf /System\ Folder (note: no period after the command like he had) if you have installed Classic and want to remove it. He is right about "be very, very, careful" though. I did actually delete my whole user folder that way once, and it wasn't fun :(

Back