How Do I Lock The HD?

BIGDOGquake3

Get It, BIG MAC! ::ha::
I'm in charge of computer maintnence for my school, well just the Macs. But any way, is there a way to lock the HD so kids cant to any thing protatining to the HD. all I want them to do is go to the dock for the Internet, and other small apps. Or do you guys have any other tricks to keep kids out! :rolleyes:

it's extremely easy, create a second user account that is not an administrator. From the Users control panel you can set the capabilities of the account. For instance you can lock down all programs other than what you're wanting them to use. If they try to open something else they'll get a no permissions error.

also, if you want, you can set autologin to this account. It will automaticaly start and log in the restricted user. If you need to do some changes log out via the apple menu, then log in with your admin account.

Also worth looking at, in the Accounts preferences, there is an option "Capabiliities" for non-administrator accounts.
In it, you can:
- Use "Simple Finder": a simplified version of the finder for kids.
- Prevent the user from removing icons from the dock.
- prevent the user from burning CDs, or opening system preferences.
- Select the programs that a user is allowed to use. Just a warning here though, if you want them to be able to print you will have to grant access to Print Center.

Back