how do i open a .asp media file

deejay

Registered
i try to listen to a media broadcast with Mac OSX and Internet Explorer but i need to setup a helper application but i do not have a clue how to do it, i need a step by step guide on how to listen to stuff from this webpage: http://www.dcfc.griffin.net.uk/listen.asp

I have just crossed over from PC to my iBook and i have fallen in love with the OS and iBook but it is a little frustrating because i do not have the knowledge on how to get the best from this OS and i am hoping that someone can help me on this, Thanks!

Did you ever figure this out? You may want to open the asp file in TextEdit or another text editor and see what is in it. Usually that helps to discover what the problem is. You can email one to me and I'll look at it too... michael at hypersites.com

Originally posted by fddi1
asp is not a media file. It's Active Server Page from Microsoft.

However, many sites that stream media use asp to serve their pages. Usually a link that causes a stream to begin is served by ASP dynamically... if the server isn't set up correctly this can result in an asp file being downloaded. If it is, the mime type is set correctly and the resulting download has the desired result.

If you open the asp file or what have you, you can usually copy and paste the URL that is in there in to the desired media client manually.

Originally posted by zerologic

if the server isn't set up correctly this can result in an asp file being downloaded.

unfortunately, this is a common problem, especially with download/plugin links generated via cgi/server-side scripts. the suggestion about cutting and pasting the d/l url is about the only way around this.

Back