How do I open MS created RTF files ?

AnnaP

Registered
I have MS Office installed, but Word wont open them, preview wont and Text editor wont either.

I can create and read RTF files, but not ones that have been sent from an MS machine.

ANy ideas ?

what happens when you try to open it in Word or TextEdit? It should be able to read it no problems.

If you double-click the icon what happens? Can you open Word first, then go to File > Open and select the file?

You could also try adding the extension ".rtf" to the end of the filename (if not there already)

Please define and specify a 'MS machine'.

Also, what 'Text editor' are your referring to?

Do you have a copy of a '.rtf' file that can be provided, for review?

AnnaP said:

I can create and read RTF files, but not ones that have been sent from an MS machine.

ANy ideas ?
Ideas? Something is dreadfully wrong, but not with your applications. Who created the .rtf files on the MS machine--you or someone else? Which application was used to create them?

The problem that I have with your question is that .rtf is the closest thing to an absolute certainty in computers. It doesn't "just work," it "works, period!" The only credible explanation for your problem is that the files that you are receiving from the MS machine are not .rtf files.

I have MS Office installed but it wont open MS created RTF's ? Neither will preview or text editor.. I can create and read my own rtf's.

I am using the standard OSX text editor. Message I get is "File could not be opened". If I open MS word & then try file / open, the .rtf file is greyed out in the finder window, so I cant select it.

It was created on a Windows XP machine, by MS Word, I can open it at the office, emailed it home and cant open it on my Mac ?!?!

More than happy to give an example, how do I attach a file to this thread ?

In my previous post, AnnaP, I asked you if you or someone else used Word:win to create your .rtf files on the Windows computer. This is important because the person using the Windows computer seems not to know how to create .rtf files on that platform.

This forum supports .sitx and .zip files. Zip an example of your bad .rtf files and attach it to a post. Hopefully, we can determine its true format. This will not solve your problem, but it will help to determine what is going wrong.

'More than happy to give an example, how do I attach a file to this thread ?' - simple, request those interested in receiving a copy, to send you a 'Private Message' containing a valid e-Mail address.

When you create an e-Mail message, place all those who respond in the 'Bcc:' field [not the 'To:' field, not the 'Cc:' field] (each e-Mail address separated by a comma and space). In the 'To:' field enter something like 'rtf@mailinator.com'. Naturally, attach the '.rtf' file(s), in question, to the e-Mail message.

Finally, do not distribute or send any future e-Mail's, to the e-Mail addresses supplied. If you have a problem or problems - post them, as you have 'How do I open MS created RTF files ?', on the 'MacOSX.com' web site (and / or equivalent web sites).

Why make this more complicated by adding extra unnecessary steps?

AnnaP - Just drag the .rtf file to your desktop and zip the file (control-click or right click on the file and choose Create Archive of ) , then attach it to a post in this thread.

(to attach a file to a post, make sure you are in advanced mode instead of quick reply mode and scroll down to Additional Options. Click on the Manage Attachments button under Attach Files, then click the Choose Files button)

Have you tried using OpenOffice? It has pretty good compatibility, from there you can make it into a .doc or something.

'g/re/p' - your '.zip' suggestion is valid and a quick solution; however, I did not want to be 'private messages'ed by a monitor (or equivalent) about recommending one - to post potentially damaging file(s), on 'www.macosx.com'.

Perhaps too much caution on my part; but, then some of my replies have disappeared, other's posts modified, etc., on 'www.macosx.com'

Neither did 'AnnaP' send the file(s), in either suggested way.

Posts are only modified or deleted if they are duplicates, or violate board rules. Otherwise you can post what you want. And we don't mind anyone posting relevant attachments to threads, that's what it's there for.

Barhar, maybe it is all those single quotes you keep using that are messing up and SQL statement somewhere? ;)

And just in case you missed it :)

Back