How do I partition my HD for Panther?

Dlatu1983

Prime Minister
Everyone says that it's best to partition your hard drive, so if your system folder gets corrupted, all you have to do is reinstall the OS onto that partition, and your data will be fine....my question is, how do I do this? When I get Panther, I want to set up my system this way. I have all my important data (music, prefs, etc) backed up to my iPod...when I install Panther, exactly what do I do? And how big a partition should I set up for the OS? (I have an 80GB drive in my iMac) Are there any tips or tricks, or anything I should know first? Thanks:)

Dlatu1983

This is how I did it for my setup. I have a maxtor 120 gig hard drive, that I setup with 3 partitions. (Make sure you back-up any valuable data first!!!!)

The first partition I made 10 gigs for all the system software, with everything I have installed for the system, it uses up 4.41 gig (this includes Xcode tools and fink installations). Now this partition is dedicated for only the 10.3 system files.

The next partition that I made was another 10 gig for my applications, which right now is using up about 3.91 gig, again this partition is my 'Applications' folder. (I'll get to how to do this in a minute) And my third partition is the rest of the hard drive for the Users folder.

Now you may want to think about how much you want to dedicate to each partition, and I'm still playing around with this setup, and may change it. But as it stands, I feel that I've left enough room on each partition for any 'extra' junk that I may acquire. (I can change this if I want, because I have plenty of space for backup on extra hard drives.)

Now, here is how I setup my system: After doing a clean install of 10.3 on the 'system' partition, I use the new finder command (right click or control click) create archive on the application folder. When this is done I drag the archive to the new 'application' partition, and expand the archive. I then drag all user data to the new 'user' partition.

Now the next part can may be able to be done differently, but the easiest way that I know how is by using the terminal and vim.

Following the instructions from: http://www.kung-foo.tv/xtips.php#1

I use vim to do the following (which you will have to have root user enabled via netinfo manager.)

at the prompt type the following:

sudo vim /etc/fstab

if will ask for your password, then open the file. When the file opens I add the following 2 lines.

LABEL=Users /Users hfs rw 1 2
LABEL=Applications /Applications hfs rw 1 2

then save the file.

Then restart your computer, and hold down the apple-s key to boot into single user mode.

From there, type:

mount -uw /

to mount the system partition. Then

cd Applications

rm -R *.app /Applescript /Utilities

This will remove the Applications data that OS X installed on your 'system' partition ( you don't have to do this, but you will gain a little bit of disk space back by doing so.)

then type:

cd ../Users

rm -R /your_user_name /Shared

Again same as before, not necessary, but will save you drive space.

then type:

exit

and your computer will start up as normal.

The two lines you typed in the fstab file act as an alias to your applications and users folders, which are technically on separate partitions, but as far as OS X is concerned, are on the OS X partition. The benefits of this, are as you stated, you can do a complete re-install of OS X without affecting your applications or users data.

If you do have to do a re-install, you'll have to edit the fstab file again, and do the single user removals again to re-setup your system. Ya it can be kind of a pain in the *ss, but much easier than re-installing every application you own, and worrying about all your user preferences and such.

If you need any further explanation or have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Good luck.

Or you could just use the DiscUtility that comes when you install the OS. That's how I did it anyway.

But I must say...I've become partition free. And I plan on staying that way. Forever.

Partitions are great, because if one goes down, well it's just that partition, the others are likely to still be up. I have 3 drives, out of that i have 5 partitions and on full drive dedicated to back-up. I have a OS X, OS 9, Scratch, Work, Work2 for large video files.

You have a nice size drive, I have 7gb for my X partition, which is the first partition, the rest is up to you. I don't plan to jump to Panther just yet, likely i will place it on one of these partitions, or make a CCC disc image of my current Jaq to return to if needed.

How do I partition my HD for Panther on my new G5?

Since it does NOT boot from DVD and there is no way slicing the disk within the installing process, Norton Utilities 7 CD does not boot either..
any ideas ?

Actually, you should be able to access Disc Utility from the Installer menu when you boot from the Panther Installer CD 1.

My copy of Panther should be arriving any day now. At the moment I have my 60GB HD partitioned into a 4.7GB partition and a 55.3GB partition. The first partition is for the OS, the other is for my stuff. Will 4.7GB be sufficient enough for Panther? (I don't want to install XCode or any of the extra stuff).

I would make that first partition larger, as a safety precaution, because in a worse case scenario, if you need to archive and install, you will have the space needed to accommodate this data, which is about 2gb.

Back