How do I play avi's through Quicktime?

some avi's will play under QT....others will not.....

i have not seemed to come to a conclusion, but i believe it is through the codecs...some of the codecs i think somehow make it work.....

i am probly so wrong....but then again, who isnt?

just get Mplayer...it whoops @$$

...thats it, thats my answer too

Some avi's play perfectly through QuickTime while others don't play with sound or video. The latter are usually divx encoded avi's and I recommend playing those with a free program called VLC. However if you really want to play them in QuickTime then you need to rebuild them with a program called "DivX Tool OSX", a simple drag and drop procedure. There is also a third type of avi which QuickTime will not play at all, these are encoded with the Intel Indeo Video codec, however unfortunately at this time there is no Indeo Video decoder plug-in available for OS X which makes them unplayable in any application unless you boot into OS 9.

www.divx.com

Download mac codec and put it in /Library/QuickTime folder.

But if u want a better player:
vlc 0.4.6.

Search for it on versiontracker.com.

Depends on which format the avi file is in. Most files will read just fine. DivX and 3ivX encoded files need a QT encoder extension to work. Search for them on versiontracker :)

BTW there are at least three different Mac OS X utilities to convert AVIs to MooVs. Some work where others don't, and then even when they work sometimes you have to adjust the bitrate on one of the streams with QTPro.

Back