How do I put a "bar" above a charachter in Pages

Racquelle

Registered
I'm trying to write something in Pages, in which I need to write a character with a bar above it, like the opposite of an underline, as used to denote an average value in maths sometimes. I can't find out how to do this anywhere, does anyone know if there is a way?
Latexit is not much help as I need the character to be inline with a bunch of normal text, but the character made using latexit moves all the text around it away from it and it doesn't look very good at all. The text is in a text box as well so that the 'inline' option in latexit places the character a long way from where I want it to be.
There must be a way to do this bar in pages I would think. Anyone know how?

Unless you need the glyphs &#257;, &#275;, &#299;, &#333;, &#363;, or their upper-case forms, the closest that you are going to get to what you want is to use overstrike mode and the macron character. To the best of my knowledge, Pages does not do overstrikes. My need to use the overbar representation of the mean and other mathematical document issues are major reasons for my longing for a MacOS X version of FrameMaker. [Curse you, Adobe!] As an alternative to using the overbar, you might try the < x > (bra-ket) presentation for the mean.

Back