How Do I Restore Original Icons?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I've downloaded some custom icons. I already know how to replace plain folder icons and such with custom icons. But my question is: Once I've replaced the original icons with custom icons, if I decide to go back to the original icons in the future, how do I get the original icons back? Can someone please tell me how to do this? If this is even possible?...

If you simply paste an icon onto a folder, file or anything, its default icon is replaced. You'd have to first create an empty folder or file and copy the original icon you later want to restore to such an empty folder or file...

Convert said:
I think if you download Candybar (easy program to change icons) it has a default option.

CandyBar is not free. There should be a way to do this without additional software. Windows can do it, so I'm sure Mac can, too. :D

fryke said:
If you simply paste an icon onto a folder, file or anything, its default icon is replaced. You'd have to first create an empty folder or file and copy the original icon you later want to restore to such an empty folder or file...

Thank you!

That will work, but it's a really roundabout way of doing it. If you want to restore the original icon, simply click the icon in the get info box and press your "delete" key. Or choose "cut" from the "Edit" menu.

adambyte said:
That will work, but it's a really roundabout way of doing it. If you want to restore the original icon, simply click the icon in the get info box and press your "delete" key. Or choose "cut" from the "Edit" menu.

Hmmm. Doesn't work. I did exactly what you told me to do, but instead of changing back to the original icon, it changed to the AppleWorks icon. I tried this for several different icons and they ALL defaulted back to the AppleWorks icon, not the plain folder icon. Also, I found that went I tried to change it back and it defaulted to the AppleWorks icon, I could not restore it with my custom icon. I had to drag the contents of each folder (now AppleWorks icons) to my desktop, trash the AppleWorks icon folder (now empty), make a new folder in the Finder window and then copy and paste (via Get Info) the custom icon back into the new icon, then drag the contents of the folder from the desktop back into the.............

Holy crap! I just answered my own question! LOL

Jeez! All I have to do is make a NEW folder in the Finder and it WILL be a plain folder icon! Then I can just copy and paste and restore the original folder icons from the new folder icon!

OK, never mind. LOL

(But I'm still not sure why all my icons are defaulting to the AppleWorks icon--and not whatever their original icon was--when I press delete in the Get Info window.) :confused:

That is beyond bizarre. I'm sure a system re-install would fix it, but that seems a bit drastic.

Hmm... maybe rebuilding the Mac OS X "desktop" file would work.... but I forget how you do it. It's kind of obscure, and you don't need to usually do it.

adambyte said:
That is beyond bizarre. I'm sure a system re-install would fix it, but that seems a bit drastic.

Hmm... maybe rebuilding the Mac OS X "desktop" file would work.... but I forget how you do it. It's kind of obscure, and you don't need to usually do it.

Restarted my computer. Problem fixed.

Who would've thought it would be that simple? :D

Back