How do I run an app in X11

tk4two1

Professional Crastinator
I installed xscrabble using FinkCommander and now, because I am a complete idiot, I have no clue how to run it.:eek: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Assuming that you've installed Apple's X11, go to you need to open the X11 app that's located in /Applications/Utilities/ and type the command /sw/bin/xscrabble

Good luck.

tk4two1 said:
I installed xscrabble using FinkCommander and now, because I am a complete idiot, I have no clue how to run it.:eek: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

First, find the app. Should be somewhere in the '/sw' directory, I believe. Make sure you know the ENTIRE path (ie /sw/bin/xscrabble). Launch X11 (/Applications/Utilities). There is a menu titled 'Applications'; under it is a 'Customize...' selection. Select it. A window will open with 3 columns and a list of installed X11 apps. Select 'Add Item'. It will add a blank item to the current list, highlighted in blue. Double-click the new items 'Name' field, and enter whatever you wish to call this new item (probably xscrabble =) Next double click the 'Command' field. Here is where you enter the EXACT and ENTIRE path to the app you wish to add. Click done when done. Your app should now be part of the X11 'Applications' menu, and selecting said app should launch it under X11.

Unfortunately, this isn't very intuitive, but it's how it works.

There are some other built-in X11 apps in the '/usr/X11R6/bin/' directory; you can get there from 'Go->Go to Folder...' in the Finder. Check it out, there are some interesting apps there.

Hope this helps.

(tig)

"We do not inherit the land from our ancestors"
"We borrow it from our children"

If you are running apple's X11 under 10.3 you can just double click on the executable in /sw/bin and it will start up X11 automatically and just run. It gets easier every day.

-Eric

Back