How do I share my cable modem w/a pc?

cynsurf5

Registered
I need to share my cable modem with my husbands PC - that sits in a room about 35 ft away with one wall in between.(I want him off my new 800 Superdrive imac):mad: Can someone please tell me what specific hardware to get. I know about the linksys and netgear routers, but there are so many models and features it makes my head spin!:p I understand that I connect my cable modem to the router and then I connect the mac to the router,but how does the PC in the other room connect-(specifically what kind of cable) and how do you use the web based software configuration if you are just setting it up. The PC is an older Sony Vaio running win 98 with no ethernet but USB . I think we already have a USB adapter that allows him to use the cable modem. Would we use that with the router as well.

Best Buy did suggest going with wireless routers(for the PC) but we have heard these aren't very good that far away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want my Mac back!
Thanks!:)

the easiest way is to use ethernet. You can buy a usb adaptor for your PC so it can use ethernet. After getting that jazz, using a netgear or linksys router is very simple.

Linksys routers i know come with switches built into the router so you can just plug a mac/pc into them with an ethernet connection. They now make 4 and 8 port ones. The 4 port will be fine.

Linksys router: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=814256

Here is a link for the usb adaptor to use for your pc. http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=958475

Hope this helps.

Ver

but we have heard these aren't very good that far away.

LMAO 35ft is not considered far. I am AT LEAST 50 ft from my wireless router and get 80% signal... it is rated at 1500 ft (but I would say more like 300 sq feet through walls ect...)
I have a linksys wireless router + 4 port hub: and a usb wireless card for the PC (WUSB11)

The whole setup cost about 250$ on sale at compusa last summer. works great.

The other option (hardwire router ) is considerably cheaper, but you have to deal with massive amounts of cable....

LMAO 35ft is not considered far. I am AT LEAST 50 ft from my wireless router and get 80% signal... it is rated at 1500 ft (but I would say more like 300 sq feet through walls ect...)
I have a linksys wireless router + 4 port hub: and a usb wireless card for the PC (WUSB11)

The whole setup cost about 250$ on sale at compusa last summer. works great.

The other option (hardwire router ) is considerably cheaper, but you have to deal with massive amounts of cable....

Well my husband was skeptical about wireless since my brother told him using his powerbook with airport was less than great.

We went with the router and yes it was a lot of cable, but it works great. We are sharing the cable modem as we speak.

I also have a G4 450 in the same room as the PC -is there a way to hook up this computer too using the same line.We don't want to have to run anymore cable.
Thanks

If i have an Airport card is there anything cheaper i could get for wireless internet than an AirPort? Or can my airport card only read an AirPort signal?

Twister

an airport card will work with most AP( access points). you do not necessarily need an apple base station to work with your card.

Ver

You have two choices to hook up the second PC.

(i) Run another cable to your router

(ii) Share the existing cable run by buying either an ethernet hub or switch. A switch will be a touch faster than a hub unless you have a lot of broadcast traffic (if you don't know whether you have a lot of broadcast traffic you don't!).

Option 1 is cheap, but messy. Option 2 will cost you more bucks, but it tidier. The decision is yours.

DC

Back