How do I stop screen dimming?

Ant

Registered
If I don't press a key or move the trackpad for a minute or so, the screen goes dim. It happens independently of the screen saver, and I can't find any way to change this setting. It's irritating when I'm trying to watch a movie.

I can't believe there's no way to do it, so any help will be gratefully appreciated. :)

From the Apple menu, go to "System Preferences." Click the "Energy saver" icon (it's a light bulb). If there's a button that says "show details," click it. From there, you can adjust the time for the display to sleep.

Thanks for the advice, people!

It seems that the dimming occurs at the half-way point between the last key-press and when it goes to sleep. I had sleep set to 5 minutes, so the screen was dimming after 150 seconds. Now I have it set to 20 minutes.

Ideally, sleep mode and screen savers would be automatically disabled when a film is playing. Maybe one day... :)

Ant,

The Energy Saver part of System Preferences (towards the top) has different "schemes" (for lack of a better word) in a drop down box, and one of them is called "DVD Playing" (or something like that. I'm not at my Mac right now...) If you pick that you should be able to watch the whole movie without having the screen dim on you.

Regards,
Marc

That's strange. When I use DVDPlayer, my screen doesn't dim or go to sleep, even though I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes.

What OS version are you running?

Doug

I'm running OS 10.1, so I guess that's why I don't have the drop-down box in Sys Prefs. I never tried watching a DVD on my Mac - the dimming occurs with Quicktime movies. I discovered a little bit of freeware called Jiggler from StickSoftware, which jiggles the mouse automatically. Slightly easier to turn on and off than changing settings in Energy Saver.

Thanks for all your replies. :)

Back