How do I upgrade from 9.2 to 10.4 and keep OS 9.2 environment

LABachlr

Registered
The computer is an iMac and it has 9.2 on it. It has some programs that are quite old, but that are still used. How do I upgrade it to Tiger so that both OS 9 and OS 10 can be used?

Also, after upgrading, if I install a printer for OS 10, will it also print in the OS 9 environment, or will I have to install the OS 9 drivers for that printer? That's one of the issues that we're having right now, is not being able to print files that in in a very old format.

For example, the Word docs, I tried moving them to a PC to open and print them there, but the files did not even have an extension in the file name. I added ".doc", but it still could not be read by Word 2007. So we need to be able to print the old files, but we're having trouble installing the printer on OS 9.

If you're installing Tiger or earlier, it will just install and use the existing OS 9 System Folder for its Classic environment. It will not remove it. You will also be able to boot into both if your Mac supports booting into OS 9. OS 9 and OS X use separate system folders ("System Folder" in OS 9, "System" in OS X) so they won't step on each other's toes.

Yes to above, however, you need not re-boot if you install, from the Tiger install disk, Classic. Then you can use both simultaneously.

Back