how do you create a smart playlist in itunes that excludes all videos and podcasts?

Set rules appropriately, such as "genre does NOT contain Podcasts". Not exactly sure about video but I believe you can do similar to include "kind is/is not".

for just audio set the playlist to match ALL rules and include

Kind contains audio

(or Kind does not contain MPEG-4 video file works as well)

As for excluding podcasts that's not as easy since they are just audio files and don't follow any specific rule. What you could do is add the word Podcast to the comments or as a genre and set them all to that.

Then include

Comment does not contain Podcast

(This is a pain if you sucscribe to a lot though. )

I've found that all my Podcasts via iTunes (about 400 by now, I'm an avid NPR fan) are automatically marked in Genre as "Podcast". So excluding those are easy.

I'm not sure about Podcasts obtained elsewhere--but as limike pointed out, you can label anything in iTunes (use Genre or kind or composer or comments) and then set a rule to include or exclude only those.

Another trick is to include the rule "bitrate greater than xx". Or less than. Or in between.

You could put all your videos in a single playlist (smart or otherwise), and then add the rule "Playlist is not my_video_playlist" to your smart playlists of music. I think the same could be done with podcasts (not sure since I have no podcasts).

I do a lot of complex exclusions and inclusions by using folders of smart playlists. Those folders can then be treated as playlists by OTHER smart playlists. It's a complicated but effective way to get around iTunes's lack of nested boolean logic.

the 'kind is audio' one seems to work. i was under the impression it would be more specific than that.

there doesn't seem to be a proper smart playlist item to differentiate the various different types of media itunes now supports...

Back