How do you create "noise" in computer designs?

I had never realized the power of brushes. It seems strange to me that I never found this out. But, all that aside...

I've been using the grunge brushes, I'm downloading a bunch of grunge fonts, making grunge designs, etc. I would like to not get myself locked into this one genre of art. I have been looking for more Photoshop Brushes, but I can't find any. The ones I do find are all under "non-commercial", "personal use", or "link back to me" licences. Since you have such nice grunge brushes, I figured you might know where to find better brushes of other kinds.

Thanks.

also look at brushes in illustrator;

a collegue showed me some funky brush-stuff.
create a brush (path/vectors) yourself, and after that just paintbrush this vectors all over your canvas, then select anther tool to paintbrush effects like scale, rotation color variation over the previously brushes verctor..
creates crazy chaotic, yet completely controlled stuff..
i'll try post an example if i have time to make somethign

Travis86 said:
I've been using the grunge brushes, I'm downloading a bunch of grunge fonts, making grunge designs, etc.

It might help to also listen to grunge music.
Talk about 'creating noise'....

:p I'm just in a jokin mood here.

You could always snap a closeup photo of some noisy background (gravel, sand, grass, asphalt, garbage) and throw it into a nearly-transparent layer to add some texture to your nice-neat image

If you need real noise, take a picture of an old TV set on without antenna... the noise is real noise.

Place the photo in illustrator (or photoshop) and use any number of CS suite's rough brushes. They work WONDERS.

i agree with some other posters. instead of trying to get photoshop to *try* and *emulate* all these effects, imagine how the effect it is trying to emulate was originally concieved. turn a tv on a channel that's not tuned - real analogue noise! get some spray paint and spray in really random patterns, mask bits off and get overspray - all cool effects - you feel good for actuallly doing them. rescans are fun dso try that for a text idea

Most discussion here is about the dirtier noise on your attached picture, but the link you posted - the blue and white noise - is a lot of crisp shapes.
For any sort of effect where you want to create a large number of slightly different shapes, a cool tool, is Illustrator's 'Scale Each' function.
First you'll need to cover a large area with the same shape using cut and paste , or duplicate etc.
This 'Scale Each ' command normally allows you to scale or rotate a number of items all by the same amount, but it has a little checkbox named 'random' allowing you to start with, say, 100 identical triangles in a grid but randomly move, size and rotate each of them all at once to create very chaotic patterns.
When you combine this with a distorting filter in Illustrator, like 'punk', you start to get the noisy yet clean shard shapes in your weblink.

I'm beginning to think Illustrator may be the tool I'm looking for to make "clean grunge."

Welcome to MacOSX.com, BTW.

These effects can be done by creating vector mask and appling them over either solid layers such as the one in the pic you attached or over images, the effects are limitless. Play around appling different mask you have created either by had then scanning them in or I have created grunge by creating vector mask on the computer. Example of creating a mask by hand: Take watercolor paper, black ink and create a grungy look. Scan it in then apply it over a solid color layer and see how close you can come to the image you attached. I feel this could be recreated. You will be surprise by the effects you can get just using your imagination in this manner. I have created very original effects on some CD covers this way. May be a backwards way or not the easiest but they are original. Good luck.

Back