How do you delete an unwanted User

Zeal

Registered
Can't seem to delete 2 unwanted Users. I deleted them via the Users panel, but all that that has appeared to do is change the name of the User's folder by putting "Deleted" after the Username (i.e. "Xmen" has now become "Xmen Deleted"). Regards Zeal :confused:

The users are actually deleted, however their folders were kept and ownership was transfered to you (the admin). You can just drag the deleted folders to the trash and empty it if you don't want to keep anything inside of them.

Gee, that was a very quick reply dricci.

I did try to drag them to the Trash yesterday and it wouldn't work. I am the sole Admin on my computer so I'm sure I have access privileges. I'll try it again now though to see if it works...

Just tried dragging them to the Trash ande got the following message (not verbatim) "The item "Xmen deleted" cannot be moved to the Trash because it cannot be deleted". Any ideas? Zeal :confused: :confused:

hmmm, go to Netinfo and see if you can enable the root user if you haven't already done so, then log out and log into your machine as root. Drag the two folders to the trash and empty it. While in root you can do just about anything, that's why it's not good to stay in it for too long.

When you're done with that log out and back in as your normal admin user.

From testuser in this thread
* Open the Terminal

* If the files are locked you will need to unlock them first. Type the following "sudo chflags -R nouchg ", then drag the file or folder onto the Terminal window to complete the path:
sudo chflags -R nouchg /Applications

note: make sure to type the space after the command, and before you drag the file onto the window.

* To erase the file/folder do something similar. Type "sudo rm -R " then drag the file or folder onto the Terminal window:
sudo rm -R /Applications

Be careful with deleting a folder. This will delete all files and sub-folders within it!

Excellent everyone, it worked! And thank you very much for your assistance. I learn a whole lot more everyday. Zeal :D

this is so funny... i had the exact same question myself and
was just about to post a thread. thanks for the advice...
it worked for me too.

i love this forum.

:D

Yeah, it's generally a good idea to search before posting a new thread. Especially about Web Browsers, OS X vs Windows, or Unix permissions. ;) (Those three topics get hit a lot)

Back