How do you import 2000 names & phone numbers, .....

James Bond

Registered
....replacing the existing entries.

I have about 2300 names and addresses, mostly imported from a tab separated spreadhseet of my office contacts. I want to upload the new spreadsheet, replacing all the old entries. How do I do that?

When I did this previously I was using Palm desktop.....but the links to it have long been replaced by Apple Address book....and there seems to be no comparable functionality.

Is there any reasonably easy way to do this reliably and in an automated fashion?

James Bond said:
....replacing the existing entries.

I have about 2300 names and addresses, mostly imported from a tab separated spreadhseet of my office contacts. I want to upload the new spreadsheet, replacing all the old entries. How do I do that?

The old entries in what?

James Bond said:
When I did this previously I was using Palm desktop.....but the links to it have long been replaced by Apple Address book....and there seems to be no comparable functionality.

You're not making any sense at all. You've either got Palm desktop or you haven't. Or what you're trying to say is, you've since moved all of your data into Address Book. Am I right?

James Bond said:
Is there any reasonably easy way to do this reliably and in an automated fashion?

Personally, I wouldn't use either Palm desktop or Address Book for storing and managing lots of data. I use Microsoft Entourage.

Failing that, I'd write my own application and do it that way.

You need to get you're data into the vCard format. Try this.

It's got a bad review, granted, but there's bound to something like it kicking around for you...

Yes - I am using Apple Address Book. Yes, I used to use palm desktop but do so no longer.

I do not use any microsoft products....so entourage does not seem like an option....I am still rather hoping that Apple can do better with its mainstream products...

I'll check out the link you gave.....but indeed that does not look good from the reviews.

Anyone else got any good/better suggestions?

Back