How do you make .iso files in OSX?

C-Fu

Registered
in windows, i use winISO and ISOBuster. But how do you do it in OSX? Either by the use of software or command line, I dont actually care :p

And how do you make a burned CD bootable?

You can make a disk image with apple's disk utility but it's not compatable with .ISO. If you're looking to create a disk image for the mac the two standards are .DMG and .IMG. If you're looking to create an .ISO for a PC toast is your simplest option.

I'm not sure if osX has it but in freebsd, there is a mkisofs command for the command line. Check to see if Darwin has it too.

Nope, I just checked. It doesn't appear to be in OS X. If you can find the source somewhere you should be able to compile it if you're looking for a free solution.

The tool you want is called dd ("data dumper"). It's a very generic tool for taking raw data from one place and putting it in another.

"man dd" will give you exhaustive information on its usage. In short, the way to create an image file from a CD is something like 'dd if=/dev/disk1 of=filename.iso'. This assumes that your CD drive is the second disk in your computer, which may very well not be the case. Running 'mount' (with no arguments) should show you which volume is tied to which device.

You should note, however, that "iso" means more than just an image of a CD; it also refers to the iso9660 filesystem. If you're using dd with a disc which is using this filesystem, you'll get what you expect. But if you dump the data from a disc containing, say, an hfs+ filesystem, you'll get an image of an hfs+ filesystem.

Hey!! You can't tell someone to use a PC as a solution!! Our macs can accomplish the task.

Create the disk image with disk copy, then open terminal. Use the example i use below to make it recordable on every platform.

example: hdiutil convert test.dmg -format UDTO -o test.img

hdiutil converts between lots of formats:

DC42 - Disk Copy 4.2
RdWr - NDIF read/write
Rdxx - NDIF read/only
ROCo - NDIF compressed
Rken - NDIF compressed (KenCode)
UDRW - read/write
UDRO - read/only
UDCO - compressed
UDZO - compressed (zlib)
UFBI - entire device
UDTO - DVD/CD master
UDxx - UDIF stub

I'm almost sure this creates an ISO an also a bootable CD (if the original is bootable)

I haven't tried it for a while, but I tought you could just put a blank CD into your drive and MacOSX would ask you how you wanted it formatted, hang on a minute I'll go and check. Hey its doesn't anymore, dam! Maybe all the CD the Mac now creates are in .iso format. One way to check is to put the CD into a PC, if the PC can read it its in ISO9660. I'll got through this process tonight as another check.

Yup, Finder 10.2 only does ISO9660 discs, unlike 10.1.5, which can burn HFS+ discs.

I don't know why you would want to burn a HFS+ disc, though, so in my eyes it's a good thing they simplified the burning process.

Originally posted by agusgriego
Hey!! You can't tell someone to use a PC as a solution!! Our macs can accomplish the task.

Create the disk image with disk copy, then open terminal. Use the example i use below to make it recordable on every platform.

example: hdiutil convert test.dmg -format UDTO -o test.img

hdiutil converts between lots of formats:

FYI hdiutil is what "Disk Copy" calls. When it says it's waiting for "Disk Copy Helper" it's this and one other app that it's actually a front end for.

You can even mount images via this utility, great for including in shell scripts . . .

Back