How do you manage your passwords

I wonder if what I do is safe enough. I have very difficult random passwords and copy them to Word. I set the font color to white and then zoom the screen a little. Then I drag them to the desktop and they become picture clippings. I change the name to something innocuous but that tips me off to what they are. If I open them, I only see random dots.

I keep them in an encrypted disk image although the image password is in keychain, so it opens straight away.

When I need them, I open the disk image and drag them to the correct field. I usually close the image immediately.

I don't have to worry about this in a corporate environment, it is my home and school solution.

I figure it works to avoid keyloggers or other types of snooping while on-line, but maybe my security is just based on stupidity.

I use a combination of Wallet by Waterfall Software, and keyhchain. Wallet keeps all of my serial numbers, and other web login codes. Plus, Keychain stores the login/pass combo on just about every website I visit.

I use PCMacPassword... it works on Mac, Windows and Linux. Has a portable version for thumb drives and syncs with your primary system. Very cool app. As for Mac apps... it's a little windows like... but been using it over 2-3 years now and no issues what-so-ever.

Can we get a link to this Scott?

I have been using 1Passwd, and it's good.. but still not as good as Roboform that I used for years on the Windows box.

I use my brain to manage my password.... Well I use keychain. (if thats what you mean)
I wonder if what I do is safe enough. I have very difficult random passwords and copy them to Word. I set the font color to white and then zoom the screen a little. Then I drag them to the desktop and they become picture clippings. I change the name to something innocuous but that tips me off to what they are. If I open them, I only see random dots.

I keep them in an encrypted disk image although the image password is in keychain, so it opens straight away.

When I need them, I open the disk image and drag them to the correct field. I usually close the image immediately.

I don't have to worry about this in a corporate environment, it is my home and school solution.

I figure it works to avoid keyloggers or other types of snooping while on-line, but maybe my security is just based on stupidity.
So you store your passwords as images in an encrypted disk image?
... no offense but that is pretty stupid :D

Try making a very big word document with lots of text such as: Shakespeare and put loads of different .txt files in a folder called 'Shakespeare' and have one with passwords in white text somewere random in one of the storys. realy who is going to look in every file?

I just signed up with PV based on what I read on this thread.
Now the questions arise (and it may be naive); What guarantee do i have that PasswordVault does not have access to all my passwords? And how do I know who they are? Sorry!

So you store your passwords as images in an encrypted disk image?
... no offense but that is pretty stupid :D
actually, it's damned clever!

Try making a very big word document with lots of text such as: Shakespeare and put loads of different .txt files in a folder called 'Shakespeare' and have one with passwords in white text somewere random in one of the storys. realy who is going to look in every file?

That is totally ridiculous (and stupid??) - and insecure as hell. :D

Back