How do you print selections in Safari?

RyanLang

Charlie Brown
If I select some text and some images for example, can't I print just what I have selected? Thanks -Ryan

Yep, that's the easiest way, as Safari doesn't offer such a thing per se.

Yes, I know that you can use the services menu and send the selection to text edit, but then the formatting gets a little messed up.

To be honest with you, this question is for my brother who I convinced to buy an iBook and he bitches about certain things that he can't do on it, this being one of them. I had a degree in multimedia so this wouldn't be a problem for me as I would also probably use a screenshot/photoshop combination for what he's trying to do. Thing is, if I try to tell him what to do and it's too complicated for him he flips out and starts screaming about how he shouldn't have gotten a mac or whatever...so that's why I was just wondering about this selection thing.

With Safari, you can select any text, open TextEdit, go to the Edit menu and Paste with Current Style. You won't lose formatting, but it doesn't do images

Apple definitely needs to make this sort of thing easier, but the work around really isn't all that bad.

What about doing a partial screen cap (Command+Shift+4)? This lets you select a portion of the screen. It automatically saves that capture to the desktop. Just double click on the cap file on the desktop and print it. Not too bad. In fact, it's really quite efficient.

The only drawback is that I could envision a scenario where items you manually selected for print might not include things that would get captured in a screen cap.

I think the holy grail would be where anything you selected, you could right-click and get a Print Selection option. I could see there being some utility in that. But really, nine out of ten times, the focused screen cap is just fine.

RyanLang said:
To be honest with you, this question is for my brother who I convinced to buy an iBook and he bitches about certain things that he can't do on it, this being one of them. I had a degree in multimedia so this wouldn't be a problem for me as I would also probably use a screenshot/photoshop combination for what he's trying to do. Thing is, if I try to tell him what to do and it's too complicated for him he flips out and starts screaming about how he shouldn't have gotten a mac or whatever...so that's why I was just wondering about this selection thing.
I believe this guy is literally trying to find something...
There is not much you can do about it OR...
if you tell him he can make a screenshot on a selection using apple+shift+4 and finally just move the pdf file to the printer icon, this might be impressive too. This is something PC can't do that easily. Show him how much better macs are. ::ha::

Yes, I tried the screenshot method with him, but what he wants to print doesn't always fall into a rectangular region. It's ok though, I had to actually go to espn.com and check out what he was looking at for me to realize that there is a "print story" button right on their page!!! ARRRR, if only he could notice these things himself....Thanks for all your input anyway. - Ryan

Back